Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
svchost.exe -Application Error

Thread: svchost.exe -Application Error

Hi, guys! I don't know what happened to my PC recently.

It randomly pops up a critical error message telling me that "svchost.exe -Application Error" whenever I shut down my PC.

the error reads:
    "0x0075? ...... 0x????? can not be "written"

After restart my WINXP pro, it pops up another error message as follows:

Generic Host Process for Win32 services encountered a problem and needed to close

Attached are screenshots of the error message.

Initial Error Message after login Windows
    [attachmentid=54]
    Error Report
    [attachmentid=52]
    Error Detail
    [attachmentid=53]

Help me guys!? Help me!?!

The Windows XP does not crash everytime when the error occurs during the shut down process....but it's annoying...

What the heck is svchost.exe? What does it do for my PC?
    (It always running behind scene!)

Does anybody know?

Associate
    Ok this is what I got (I've had the problem before)

If you have Windows XP Home Edition you need to download the correct version of svchost.exe for some applications to work.

Svchost.exe

Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for services that run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs).

Note: A load of gibberish that you might not understand. Basically it is a standard Windows file

If you want to know what svchost controls go to Start->Run->Type CMD in the box->When the black Command prompt appears type Tasklist /SVC and hit enter.

As you can see it has a list of major programs like your web browser, web cam, video card drivers. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services part of the registry to construct a list of services that it must load. Multiple instances of Svchost.exe can run at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services. Therefore, separate services can run, depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This grouping of services permits better control and easier debugging.

The file is found in Windows XP and is found in C:\Windows\System32 I think.

Svchost will only run on Windows XP Pro unless you download the appropriate file here: Svchost for Home Edition

Just click the Tasklist.exe and then once it has run once, delete it

Virus Precaution:

The original file from Microsoft gets placed in the C:\WINDOWS\System32\ directory. If you find it anywhere else then you should be suspicious for sure. The following worms/virus's use svchost.exe

W32.Assarm
    W32/Jeefo
    W32.Welchia.Worm

Svchost.exe is a Windows System File and should be in a system directory. If it is then this application is safe.

The following website lists the good and bad svchost files!

http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-Svchost.exe.html

EDIT - URGENT NOTE: I Just noticed your svchost.exe was experiencing an error while trying to open from somewhere else that isn't System32 but the TEMP folder. I recommend using a virus scanner or sending a report to Microsoft so they can scan the file in question. There might be a computer conflict between the real svchost file and the intruder if you have one. If it is just the standard file that is corrupt, install the Tasklist.exe I gave you above.

http://home.ripway.com/2003-10/30120/Veno.gif

'Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear'

Cool

Thank you for your valuable advice!

:lol:
    I have check C:\WINDOWS\system32\ directory. There is svchost.exe file; however, I did exactly what you told me...BUT...I still get the same error msg when start Win XP Professional....also, still receives critical error msg when shut down my pc.

Critical Msgbox
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    svchost.exe - Application Error
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The instruction at (0x774220bb)
    referenced memory at (0x13bee241). The memory could not be "written".

Click Ok to Terminate the program
    Click Cancel to Debug the program
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: the black part with brackets are variables. In other words, the values are changing each time when I shut down Win XP Pro.

Mentor
    What program did you recently install? You could try rolling back to the last known good config (NT phrase)

Originally posted by genesis@Feb 20 2005, 03:06 PM
    What program did you recently install? You could try rolling back to the last known good config (NT phrase)
    [snapback]4237[/snapback]
    Recently, I installed .Net Framework V1.1 (for ASP.NET programming purpose) with IIS and MSDE 2000....

Oh, and MS AntiSpyware....that's about it! :blink:

I have tried to reinstalled pretty much everything I installed, but the error msg is still showing up!

I even tried to use different DDR ram coz I read the error msg saying ".....memory can not be 'written'"

Do you know what I should do?

Panic .... :unsure: