Thread: SP2 HOLY CRAP!

Alright, talk to me. Over the weekend I installed Service pack 2. I did all the updates via my computer manufacturer first. This morning Antispyware detected a threat. I removed, ran a scan, rebooted to safemode....BIG MISTAKE. There was no place to even log in on safe mode.....luckily ctrl-alt-delete gave me an option, but not administrator. The view was horrendous and I could barley navigate. I tried to use run.... msconfig..... couldn't get to run. I tried the command prompt because i could get there, invalid command. I could open the control panel.... removed SP2, reboot, back to normal. Run... msconfig worked and could reboot in normal mode.
    I am assuming it may be a video driver? I have integrated video and no update was required before installing service pack 2.
    Does that sound logical, to be a video driver? In all other ways SP2 seemed to be a great enhancement, so i am kind of bummed.
    Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission.

-Eleanor Roosevelt-

Mentor
    If windows was visually not readable, likely it is a video card issue. I believe windows runs on 640x480 resolution in safe mode so that may have to do something with that. But not being able to log in as admin is odd, what was the error.

I could read the screen.... how can I explain this... Like when you mess with the resoultion on your screen and the boxes get really big and you can't move the box enough to get to the "button" you need to select. It was like that. But when I finally got the log on to windows screen to appear (looked like it did in windows2000) my only choice was log on as karen. I had no choice for administrator. There was no error technically, the choice was just gone.
    Funny thing to me is that safemode ran just fine on my screen with my resolution before installing service pack 2.
    Also, I hadn't noticed anything at all funky with my display running in regular mode, which I guess I would have expected if it was a driver issue. Although I can't think of anything else it could be.
    Oh, also, when I right clicked on the desktop to change my resolution settings hoping that would make it easier, my display options was not there in safe mode.

Originally posted by genesis@Feb 2 2005, 12:55 PM
    If windows was visually not readable, likely it is a video card issue. I believe windows runs on 640x480 resolution in safe mode so that may have to do something with that. But not being able to log in as admin is odd, what was the error.
    [snapback]3553[/snapback]
    Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission.

-Eleanor Roosevelt-