Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Dynamic IP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dynamic IP

Dynamic IP

I have comcast cable internet at the apartment now. But they only give dynamic IP addresses. I use zoneedit for my domain names. I have been trying to get some of the various utilities that work to update the DNS servers with your changing IP, but I haven't had any luck so far.

The problem is that I have my machine hooked to a Linksys router that act as a DHCP server which is in turn connected to the cable modem. None of the utilites I have used so far work with my configuration, because none of them can figure out my external IP wihch is all handled by the router. All the programs I have used rely on the machine the script is running on to be aware of its dynamic external IP, this isn't the case for me.

I am taking ideas on how to solve this issue, since it looks like I am going to have to write my own solution.
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

You might want to check on the router itself. I know some of them will handle the dynamic updates for you.

Of course the problem I ran in to is that they don't support zoneedit.

Mentor
    Adjust your router

http://192.168.2.1

You can set up the various IP's there. And if it works I'll be amazed

it might be http://192.168.1.1

thats default.

Mentor

If your gonna make your own solution here's a thought.

Have a php/cgi script on a outside server (free hosting) that just outputs your ip.
    Have that output update your ip in a shell script.

Not sure if it's possible but it almost makes sense to me.

Jro... read this:
    http://www.zoneedit.com/doc/dynamic.html#faq3

I don't think you need anything other than one of these scripts.....

Quote Originally Posted by mcangeli
    Jro... read this:
    http://www.zoneedit.com/doc/dynamic.html#faq3

I don't think you need anything other than one of these scripts.....
    Unfortunately I tried all of them before my first post and none of them worked. I am in the process of using Wildhearts idea and the Python script on zoneedit to make this happen. Hopefully I can finish it this weekend, I would really like to have this in place soon.
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alright, I got it. I had to hack apart their perl script to get it to work. But all is well now. I have the script run every hour and it updates the zones like it should. I am polishing it up a little, then I will post it.
    jro -

Mentor

Odds and Ends?

JRO, JRO, that is cool, you are the poster of this quarter hour!

Did you ever think about Odds and Ends? That could be the sign out front of the office if a psychologist and a proctologist practiced in the same building!