Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AOL IM help please

Associate

Smile

tonight while I was on aol IM, I couldn't send anyone messages even though I was logged onto the internet and aol im. :angry:

I have tried to do a search in my temp. files to look for C:\Documents and Settings\[Windows_Username]\local settings\temp I was able to find this and open it, but when I did my computer froze and I couldn't find the aim.ph.dat file.. this is very very frustrating and I'd apprecaite *any* help ya'll can give me in fixing this problem I just did a search in my temporary files and nothing came up! :angry:

God and peace,
    Vanessa

Mentor
    Try the same process while AOL IM is not running, if that doesn't fix it, uninstall it and install it again.

Were you sending messages, and then all of a sudden you couldnt send any?
    "If you enjoy what you do, you'll never work another day in your life."

My man confucius said it well :D

Why is my signature text blue I did not make it like that??

Associate
    hi there- I did all of that and it still didn't work!! :angry: what do I do to fix this problem?? I'm desperate!! :lol:

God and peace,
    Vanessa

Originally posted by genesis@Jan 22 2005, 09:18 PM
    Try the same process while AOL IM is not running, if that doesn't fix it, uninstall it and install it again.
    [snapback]2780[/snapback]

Associate
    yes this is exsctly what happened!

God and peace,
    Vanessa

Originally posted by CoolJsa14@Jan 22 2005, 09:54 PM
    Were you sending messages, and then all of a sudden you couldnt send any?
    [snapback]2785[/snapback]

How long ago was this? Im not sure if regular AOL has this feature, but if your using AIM you have a certain warning level, and someone can warn you if you offend them, or if they are joking with you. If your warning level is at 100% you cant send messages. Each time you get warned it raises 10%. This is just a theory but your warning level could have been at 100%

If not there might just be an error you dont know about or a virus you have might be messing things up. Run a error scan, or a virus scan. Other than that i have no clue as to what could be wrong.

Associate
    this happened around 7pm. est. is there aw ay to check to see if you have a virus on your computer like this and how to get rid of it? is there a way to check to see what the threat is for each person?..Im not really sure whatcha mean..

God and peace,
    Vanessa

Originally posted by CoolJsa14@Jan 22 2005, 10:07 PM
    How long ago was this?* Im not sure if regular AOL has this feature, but if your using AIM you have a certain warning level, and someone can warn you if you offend them, or if they are joking with you.* If your warning level is at 100% you cant send messages.* Each time you get warned it raises 10%.* This is just a theory but your warning level could have been at 100%

If not there might just be an error you dont know about or a virus you have might be messing things up.* Run a error scan, or a virus scan.* Other than that i have no clue as to what could be wrong.
    [snapback]2790[/snapback]

Just buy or download a virus checker and run it. It's probably not a virus, but im not sure.

The warning system for AIM, and possibly for AOL is that when you IM somebody something and they are offended, they can warn you. When you are warned it raises your warning level 10%. Every time you are warned it limits the amount of messages you can send. Once you reach 100% you cant send messages, and you have to wait a certain amount of hours for this to go away. Although, im not sure if this is the case because you have AOL, not AIM. Maybe just leave it overnight and it might be takin care of, but like i said im not quite sure.......

Associate
    whats the difference between aol and aim? I dont know if this makes any difference or not..but when I click on my icon at the bottom of my screen, a box comes up that says My AIM..

God and peace,
    Vanessa

Originally posted by CoolJsa14@Jan 22 2005, 10:21 PM
    Just buy or download a virus checker and run it.* It's probably not a virus, but im not sure.

The warning system for AIM, and possibly for AOL is that when you IM somebody something and they are offended, they can warn you.* When you are warned it raises your warning level 10%.* Every time you are warned it limits the amount of messages you can send.* Once you reach 100% you cant send messages, and you have to wait a certain amount of hours for this to go away.* Although, im not sure if this is the case because you have AOL, not AIM.* Maybe just leave it overnight and it might be takin care of, but like i said im not* quite sure.......
    [snapback]2792[/snapback]

AIM is the aol instant messenger that you can download from http://www.aim.com and it is strictly instant messenging, not inter net. AOL you pay for and is internet, instant messenging, e-mail, and much more im sure you know about. On AOL you can not warn anybody, but someone on AIM can warn you, i think. This warning stuff is probably not the case, it might just be an error with AOL.

what if someone IM's you, would that work?