Thread: Win2000 SBS users kicked off and locked

Hybrid View

Talking

We are running a Small Business Server 2000, we have a total of 35 licenses.

Every once and a while for no reason users get kicked off the server and their account gets locked out.

Now this does not happen to everyone nor does it always happen to the same people. I have searched everywhere for a reason this happens.

We thougt it was a licenses issue so we install more licenses but that did not work.
    I have applied all the lastest updates and scaned for viruses, I have also check the firewall log for anyone trying to hack in with a password list. Nothing is there.

Mentor
    What operating system are the clients using and once they get locked, what is the error message on the client side!?

Originally posted by genesis@Jan 14 2005, 02:52 PM
    What operating system are the clients using and once they get locked, what is the error message on the client side!?
    [snapback]2487[/snapback]
    It is a mix some are XP, 98 and 98SE. There is no error on the client side,
    For example. a user will have MS access open and using a shared DB from the server, they can walk away for a period of time, does not matter how long and when they get back and try to use access, it locks up and closes. When they try to reopen it, the error is you do not have permissions to this resource... So the y call me and their account has been locked out, I unlock it and they can get back in.

To explain the statment " it does not matter how long" it does not always happen it is very randem as to when and who it affects. just like a virus.

Mentor
    Can you tell by just an estimate on which one of the OS's it happens more often, or is it all just about the same?

With the detail you've given so far, it does sound like a permission issue but XP is pretty good in going around that. 98 on the other hand should be a more troublemaking in this scenario.

I have never experienced this but some similar situations occur where XP or 2k will tell you that you don't have permissions to (for example) a folder but in reality it's having hard time resolving the server name.

if you're using nameservers try using IP addresses instead for the connection to the server. If the clients are using DHCP server, experiment with them by giving them a static IP address.

This is just something I'm suggesting, we'll go as we discover more detail on the situation.

Originally posted by genesis@Jan 14 2005, 03:05 PM
    Can you tell by just an estimate on which one of the OS's it happens more often, or is it all just about the same?

With the detail you've given so far, it does sound like a permission issue but XP is pretty good in going around that. 98 on the other hand should be a more troublemaking in this scenario.

I have never experienced this but some similar situations occur where XP or 2k will tell you that you don't have permissions to (for example) a folder but in reality it's having hard time resolving the server name.

if you're using nameservers try using IP addresses instead for the connection to the server. If the clients are using DHCP server, experiment with them by giving them a static IP address.

This is just something I'm suggesting, we'll go as we discover more detail on the situation.
    [snapback]2489[/snapback]
    It seems to happen more with 98, it happened to an xp and everytime i would unlock the account it would lock back when the user tried to log in. I ended up deleting his account and profile, and recreating it, this seems to fix his problem and he has not had one since.

After checking the trouble logs I keep, I have found that it is happening to 2 main people more then others and seems to happen at least once a day. Thy are on a 98 os

Mentor
    hmm I kind of suspected 98 to be more troublemaking. Are these clients logging in to the domain, madatory profile or roaming, or local profile?

Originally posted by genesis@Jan 14 2005, 03:24 PM
    hmm I kind of suspected 98 to be more troublemaking. Are these clients logging in to the domain, madatory profile or roaming, or local profile?
    [snapback]2491[/snapback]
    logging into the domain and local profile

I went to one of the clients and set a static ip to test.

Mentor
    local profile can get changed at times, if it was a mandatory profile on the server it could've been a different situation.

Changing to static will take time to test as you'll have to wait about a day for testing only.... that's not gonna be easy but I'm suspecting DNS issues at this moment.

Also the system that you put on static, is it also running on static DNS entries right?