Thread: Need help for networking

Hybrid View

When it comes to networking computers, I'm an idiot, so please help!

Right, I have an on-board NIC, which I currently use to connect my XBOX for playing online. To connect to the Internet, I have a USB Modem for broadband.

Now, what I want to do is take my XBOX downstairs to the living room and be able to play on XBOX Live, wirelessly.

I obvisously know that I'll need a wireless router, but am not sure which one, or which type to get. I'll also be getting a laptop soon, which is also another reason for why I want a wireless router.

What I need help on is just basically the hardware. Setting it all up should be ok, I'll be able to manage that.. As long as I have the right stuff.

So.. What do I do??

Mentor
    You'll need the wireless NIC module for Xbox, which I believe connects to the regular NIC output on your Xbox. That can give you wireless connectivity to your router.

As for router, I believe there's a list of compatible routers somewhere on Xbox's site, try doing a search but as far as my knowledge is, a router is a router and should work with Xbox.

And... I hope you don't mind me moving this to the xbox forum.

Right, so you mean this: (link) for the XBOX will do... and then all I'll need is any wireless router on my pc?

Thanks

Mentor
    In a nutshell, yes. But since I'm not online on my XBox I don't know if my router or any router WILL work, although looking at it in common sense any router should work - Still I suggest you look at the compatible list.

If you plan on having your pc close enough to the router, you just need an ethernet cable to connect, nothing wireless for the p.c.

Mentor
    I think he's only talking about the box, and he's planning on buying a notebook, for which wireless is the best thing ever invented.

Yup, the main computer's in my room upstairs, with AOL, Who only give a USB modem. That's why I've decided to get a wireless router so that I can connect it to my main computer.

Then I can use the XBOX downstairs on the widescreen, along with my notebook when I eventually get it..

Anyway, is this ok?

Linksys BEFW11S4 - details

Mentor
    That looks alright, should work nicely.