Thread: Invest in Linux yet?

Good Guru

Invest in Linux yet?

So -- Have you invested in Linux stocks yet? If not do you plan to?

Twas reading the article over at Linux.com and got met thinking, I have donated, but not invested yet. I plan to grab some Red Hat shares since I feel that they are about the only ones that have a clear shot. Linspire may, but they haven't IPO'ed and don't plan to.

Re:Invest in Linux yet?

How about a new, less spiteful option # 3, like "I don't do stocks"

Mentor

Stay away from stocks. Take your money to Vegas, you stand a better chance ...

while i agree with cloverm 100% on this one - i do have some redhat.

Wouldn't you stand a better chance in stocks because you can predict how a company will do? It's like Vegas but instead of blind luck you rely on educated guessing.

Mentor

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=13;threadid=10578;start=#msg95084 date=1121234292]
    Wouldn't you stand a better chance in stocks because you can predict how a company will do? It's like Vegas but instead of blind luck you rely on educated guessing.
    [/quote]

Us, little investors can't really make an educated guess, because stocks are manipulated. The Enrons, Worldcoms, Martha Stewarts are just the tip of the iceberg. Those things have always been and are still going on. You invest in a company, then one day they announce, sorry we are bankrupt and you can kiss all your money good bye (that's exactly what happened to me). And you didn't even have fun or had a cocktail on the house.

If I had the money and I could risk them, then I would put some in RHAT stock. I believe it's the single best distro, and they are a smart company, it's a good investment, morally and financially

Good Guru

[quote author=cloverm link=board=13;threadid=10578;start=0#msg95081 date=1121224823]
    Stay away from stocks. Take your money to Vegas, you stand a better chance ...

[/quote]

I cant agree there (but to each their own).

Good Guru

[quote author=Countach44 link=board=13;threadid=10578;start=0#msg95080 date=1121223962]
    How about a new, less spiteful option # 3, like "I don't do stocks"
    [/quote]
    Actually from people out there that dont get Linux or Open Source, that was the response. I asked a few people about this when the first few IPOs hit and the response was ... well ... ugly. They couldn't see $$$ in free. Of course when Red Hat IPO'd that was a bit different since a few good orgs were getting successful with it (Oracle, IBM, Novell).