Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
xpsp2 modems and a heck of a

Thread: xpsp2 modems and a heck of a

Smile

hello
    I wonder if anybody has had this problem I will start from the beginning

I was on broadband and moved to a place with no bb, o.k I thought remove braodband software and everything should be hunky dory.
    modem would not be recognised and would not connect although when I went to sign up for a isp (wanadoo) it would connect for the signup :blink:
    fine I thought start from scratch so i did nope no joy, so I went and brought a new modem fitted it..same problem...removed old modem and reloaded xp from scratch, loaded drivers did everything right..great now connected..fine
    o.k time to upgrade to sp2, start the upgrade from ms site first reboot and then try to reconnect as soon as the modem connect button is pressed I get an autoreboot with a scandisk at the beginning :angry:
    Anyone else had this problem or know of a way to resolve it please cause its dong me nut in
    many thanks in advance

Mentor
    It sounds like a drivers issue. If it's possible, check the menufacturer's site for updated drivers for SP2. Rebooting on connection attempt could also be a conflict, you can check for conflicts in the hardware properties.

BTW, I'll move your thread to the windows xp forum so people can easily respond to your questions.

Associate
    YEAH WE HAD THAT SAME PROBLEM IT JUST SAID COULD NOT DETECT MODEM. but that was an old windows 98 computer. we bought a new computer and it worked fine. wat computer do u have???
    Life Is Good, Bert is evil!!!!

Mentor
    Modems can be a pain to install sometimes, eh!?

amd 64 3000+
    its not just the modems that have gone tits up its the graphics as well, definately a driver problem I cannot get sp2 from the download site. As soon as i do the first download and reboot it just keeps rebooting after i click on connect.
    I checked through ms help files found nought about it, so i have just given up and am using sp1 until I have the patience to try and go through the whole process of trying to fix the problems.

Mentor
    Of course, one temporary solution is to keep using SP1 but that's not the permanent solution.

I agree with genesis on these. One other thing that you might want to try is taking the modem out (while computer is off), putting it back in and then turning it on. Maybe plug and play would detect it and get it working.

Mentor
    Could try changing the PCI slot as well.