Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

OS problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OS problem

Hybrid View

OS is XP home.
    A friend at work was loading some software and it started deleting files of his hard drive, he could not stop the program so he just turned his computer off.
    When he rebooted the OS would not load.
    As it came pre-loaded i loaned him my XP disk so he could access the recovery console to try and repair the damage.
    Now it boots to the splash screen ( where the green/blue line goes across ) then the screen goes black instead of loading windows.
    Has anyone any ideas on what could be causing this.
    Linux Rocks

Mentor
    Corrupted Boot Record files I suppose.

Have him try doing F8 on startup and boot into safe mode.

BTW, moving topic to windows xp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Associate
    If he was deleting files at the time, he has probably deleted an important file.

As gen said he should try safe mode, this loads only the basic os files, he can then ( hopefully ) use system restore to before he deleted the files and everything should be ok. If its more serious than that he may have to reinstall windows ( over the top of the current so he can keep all his programs and stuff ). If that still fails to work he may have to format his hard drive and install xp again ( and sp2 while hes at it :P ).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[B][FONT=Geneva][FONT=Optima]
    Originally posted by PaulitoZ@Jan 5 2005, 10:58 AM
    If he was deleting files at the time, he has probably deleted an important file.

As gen said he should try safe mode, this loads only the basic os files, he can then ( hopefully ) use system restore to before he deleted the files and everything should be ok. If its more serious than that he may have to reinstall windows ( over the top of the current so he can keep all his programs and stuff ). If that still fails to work he may have to format his hard drive and install xp again ( and sp2 while hes at it :P ).
    [snapback]2198[/snapback]

Unhappy

Originally posted by PaulitoZ@Jan 5 2005, 10:58 AM

[snapback]2198[/snapback]

Just thought I would ask...wouldn't it be weird to you if you went to system restore to click the tab and the tab wasn't even there at all? I thought it was...and then there is my issue of defrag button that is unresponsive...and boy do i need to defrag...won't accept command line either...says windows(sp) does not support it????????? IDEAS???

Mentor
    Yup system restore would be the first step but I doubt it for some reason. So likely you guys are looking at a re-install.

He cannot get past the splash screen so I am going to suggest he does a repair install, any thoughts
    Linux Rocks

Associate
    Formate + fresh install pretty much always works but as a last resort.

Make sure he is pressing F8 while his computer is booting up, start repeatedly pressing it from when the memory check is done, not when the windows splash screen is already up. If he already is and its still not working, try the repair as you said.

Mentor
    If he can't go into the loader prompts, he'll have no choice to either repair it from the CD or fresh install it. I'd suggest repair it, back up all the information you want and when you get some free time, fresh install it to avoid minor issues later on.

Thanks for that Genesis I will pass your advice on.
    Linux Rocks