Thread: Microcrap does it again....

Associate
    Alright, I'm getting fed up with this.

Long story short, I first started getting bluescreen 0xA5 (ACPI_BIOS_ERROR), so I flashed the BIOS on my system. Thinking everything was back to normal, I continued my normal activities. About an hour later, I get a series of different bluescreens.

0x01 (IRQL_NOT LESS OR EQUAL)
    0x8E (KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)
    0x05 (INVALID_PROCESS_ATTACH_ATTEMPT)

I tried attaching the memory.dmp file, but Windows bluescreens every time I try to read the darn file, even in safe mode, with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL! Now it won't boot anything because of a corrupt \SYSTEM32\SYSTEM file. Reinstalling only produces stop 0x8E when initializing windows setup.

It's definitely not the system RAM, the RAM chips are new, and I have tried removing them both (one at a time, of course), and it's definitely not the videocard, since it bluescreens even with a different card in there. Searching came up with another possibility - the L2 cache on my CPU. How do I check that for errors? And is there anything else I may have missed?

Mentor
    If you can run the computer long enough, run SiSoft sandra benchmark utility, see if that software produces any errors. From the sounds of it, it's probablly something on the motherboard.

You flashed to a new version of your BIOS? Have you added any new devices?
    RickDev
    "Nobody knows what I do until I stop doing it."

Florida Web Design | Online Geek Hangout | Office Pranks and Humor

Associate
    Guys after hammering away at this last night, I've partially fixed this problem. It appears to me that something is producing a fairly large amount of heat. Thanks for your suggestions.

Here's what I did.

1. Reformat the computer
    2. Reinstall Windows 98 on a clean harddrive (XP was producing bluescreens like mad at this point)
    3. Upgrade to XP

I was still receiving bluescreen errors. Reaching inside the computer, I noticed an unusual amount of heat. I put a large floor-based fan in front of the computer, and it rarely bluescreens now. For now, I've decided to keep my desktop powered down, and marked this as a possible CPU or power supply overheating problem.

Mentor
    Oh boy, it's potentially either the CPU or the motherboard chipset that's over heating....

ahh the over heating problems in the new stuff I would look and make sure all fans on the inside of the case are moving. Had a graphic card who's fan stopped moving and drove me nutz until I found the problem. Take a big can of air and clean any and all vents in the case.

RickDev
    "Nobody knows what I do until I stop doing it."

Florida Web Design | Online Geek Hangout | Office Pranks and Humor

Mentor
    lol so it wasn't microcrap after all :lol:

Associate
    Nope, it was *very* bad hardware. I believe I was running on borrowed time at that point. It wasn't until recently that I found two teeth missing on my PSU fan. How the heck it got like that, I don't know. At least now I know what the problem is. I wanted to go 64bit anyways.

I'd suggest to simply reinstall your windows It might not be a hardware problem - it might be a software problem