How To Configure Windows 2000 to Send and Receive Faxes
This article describes how to configure Windows 2000 to send and receive faxes.
To Start Fax Service Management
To start Fax Service Management, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, double-click Fax, click the Advanced Options tab, and then click Launch Fax Service Management. You must have a fax device (such as a modem) installed for the Fax icon to appear in Control Panel.
Send and receive options for each device are available by clicking Devices in the left pane in the Fax Service Management window and then right-clicking the device.
To Set a Fax Device to Send or Receive Faxes
1. Start Fax Service Management.
2. In the left pane, click Devices.
3. Right-click the device you want to configure, and then click Properties.
4. Select one or more of the following options to send or receive a fax:? Enable Send: Select this check box to send faxes. This is selected by default.
? Enable Receive: Select this check box to receive faxes.
? Rings Before Answer: Type the number of rings allowed before the Fax service answers a call. Fax transmissions are answered automatically.
To Fax a Document
1. In any Windows-based program that contains a Print command, click Print on the File menu.
2. Click the fax printer in the list of printers, and then click OK to start the Send Fax Wizard.
3. In the To box, type the name of the recipient, or click Address Book to select from a list of predefined names.
4. In the Location box, click a country or region, or click to select the Dial exactly as typed (no prefixes) check box.
5. In the first Fax Number box, type the area or city code, and then type the local number in the next box.
6. Click Add, and then repeat this step for each additional recipient.
7. Click Next.
8. Click the appropriate cover page in the Cover Page Template box.
9. In the Subject Line box, type a cover page subject. In the Note box, type a note (as appropriate). The text you type is displayed in the Subject and Note fields on your cover page.
10. Click Next.
11. Select a time to send the fax, and add billing code information (if necessary).
12. Click Next .
You must have a fax device installed to fax a document. If you select the Dial exactly as typed (no prefixes) check box, you override the default dialing rules. To view your default dialing rules, click Dialing Properties on the "Recipient and Dialing Information" page in the Send Fax wizard.
If you are dialing a country or region that does not have an area or city code, type the local number prefix in the first Fax Number box, and then type the local number suffix in the next box.
To view a cover page template, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to Fax, click My Faxes, double-click the Coverpg folder, and then double-click one of the cover pages (.cov files) to open it in Fax Cover Page Editor.
If you want to send only a fax cover page without a document, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to Fax, click Send Cover Page Fax to start the Send Fax Wizard, and then follow steps 3-12.
? Microsoft Windows 2000 Server