Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

automatically log on to Windows XP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: automatically log on to Windows XP

Hybrid View

How to automatically log on to a user account in Windows XP

SUMMARY
    This article describes how to automatically log on to a user account during the Microsoft Windows XP startup process.

Note This process only works if the computer is not joined to a domain.

Requirements
    ? The Welcome screen must be available
    ? There must be only one user account on the computer
    ? The user account must not have a password

Make the Welcome Screen available
    To make the Welcome screen available, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click User Accounts.
    2. Click Change the way users log on or off.
    3. Click to select the Use the Welcome screen for fast and easy logon check box.
    4. Click OK.

Remove the password from a user account
    To remove the password from a user account, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click User Accounts.
    2. Click the user account.
    3. Click Remove my password.
    4. Type the password in the Type your current password box, and then click Remove Password.

APPLIES TO
    ? Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition
    ? Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Mentor
    This is for the people who are single user of a computer, excellent tip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Woah, this is really handy.

Thanks a bunch.

Mentor
    I'd rather edit the registry than using yet another program. Although back in 95 days, I had been using that TweakUI tool a lot, it works.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cool. Only problem is that when you install the .NET Framework, you have to log on manually for some reason.

Mentor
    Originally posted by Bladerunner@Jan 4 2005, 02:31 PM
    Cool. Only problem is that when you install the .NET Framework, you have to log on manually for some reason.
    [snapback]1985[/snapback]
    Are you talking about when you use TweakUI or with the above procedure!?

With the above procedure. Even if you only have one account with no password and the Welcome Screen enabled, once you install the Framework you have to manually log on. I think the Framework adds a hidden account or something.

Originally posted by Bladerunner@Jan 4 2005, 04:48 PM
    With the above procedure. Even if you only have one account with no password and the Welcome Screen enabled, once you install the Framework you have to manually log on. I think the Framework adds a hidden account or something.
    [snapback]2002[/snapback]

If you have a webserver on the system and installed .NET it could ahve installed all the parts for ASP and that does include a user account called ASPNET. Check your user group on the computer and see. Though you should be able to still use the auto login and tell it what account. If I get some time I will test on another computer I have sitting around.
    RickDev
    "Nobody knows what I do until I stop doing it."

|
    |

Mentor
    hmm didn't know that. I have .net framework and have multiple users, I'll give it a shot when I get back home.