Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Happy Canada Day everyone!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy Canada Day everyone!!!

You should have flags

here's my flag!

@mcangeli flags still aren't working dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildheart
    here's my flag!

@mcangeli flags still aren't working dude.
    Yea, thats an easy fix though if I can ever get the hosting company to restart ftp.

Re: Happy Canada Day everyone!!!

today is the day I celebrate my great nation. This is not only a day for Canadians to celebrate but for everyone. So I encourage everybody to help me celebrate the beaver and the leaf today!!!!!!!
    To the maple leaf and the beaver... and to Happy Canada day, I salute my nearby neighbor!

As a resident of south central New Hampshire, I am a bit farther from the Canadian border than I was while growing up. I was born in Detroit, Michigan and grew up in Fraser, Michigan, only about five miles from the shore of Lake St. Clair. Just across the lake were the northern suburbs of Windsor, Ontario.

As a young adult, I soent many weekends visiting Windsor, and even as a child, I went to Windsor and Sarnia many times.

A brother and a sister moved out to the Northeast in the seventies, so I frequently came out here. I'd drive from Fraser up I-94 to Port Huron, cross over into Sarnia, across to London, then over to Kitchener, Hamilton, and Niagara Falls, Ontario before crossing to Niagara Falls, New York, on my way to the greater Boston area.

In 1985, I moved to Merrimack, NH. I now live in Concord, NH, the capital of our modest state.

I went back to Michigan several times, crossing that same path, but then I did not visit for several years. Then in 1998, the year of the billion dollar ice storm, I visited Montreal with some French speaking friends and nearly froze our hind quarters!

My last trip to Canada was back to Ontario in July 2002, when I attended Debconf 2 at York University, a northern suburb of Toronto. I hadn't been in Toronto since the eighties. While it was a good sized city then, MAN has it grown over the past twenty years. I got to do a good bit of walking around; I got to see the downtown lakefront as well as the area surrounding the university. I did not get to visit the Toronto Science Center on this last trip, but I have been there two or three times in the past... always enjoyable.

I have not been to British Columbia, Saskatchewan, or any of the northwest reaches of Canada. I have been in Ontario a LOT over the course of my life, I've been through parts of Quebec twice, and I've been to Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island once, but not through New Brunswick. Still, I've probably seen a lot more of our great neighbor, Canada, than most of the citizens of our fair country, even the local residents of New Hampshire. One day, I'd like to visit some of the other provinces, particularly British Columbia, beginning with Vancouver and surrounding areas. (My Libra Systems friends live in North Vancouver!) ;-)

Was Canada Day once called "Old Dominion Day"? I vaguely recall that Detroit and Windsor used to have MASSIVE fireworks on the Detroit River, shot off barges between Detroit and Windsor. I saw them once in person. IT was SO popular that we got stuck on I-75, a good mile from the fireworks, yet we could still see them!

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone can tell me about "Old Dominion Day".

Happy Canada Day!

http://www.pch.gc.ca/progs/cpsc-ccsp/jfa-ha/canada_e.cfm
    On October 27, 1982, July 1st which was known as "Dominion Day" became "Canada Day".

I still lived in Michigan then, but I'm not anywhere near as familiar with Canadian holidays and customs as I am with American ones. Not bad, though, that I correctly remembered the days of my youth when Canada Day was called Old Dominion Day!

Thanks for the link to the Canadian history page! I appreciate it!

Basically b4 1982 We were the Dominon of Canada and our real head of state was the Queen of England. In 1982 we got our own constitution writen by us(the previos on was written by brits and passed through british Parliament in 1867) and then we we no longer the Dominion.

The queen is still our figure head but she has no veto power over laws.

That's right, now I remember!

Basically b4 1982 We were the Dominon of Canada and our real head of state was the Queen of England. In 1982 we got our own constitution writen by us(the previos on was written by brits and passed through british Parliament in 1867) and then we we no longer the Dominion.

The queen is still our figure head but she has no veto power over laws.
    Yes, thank you, now I remember. In this sense, Canada Day is an even bigger event than Old Dominion Day ever was. England is definitely a friend of the USA, but the US cut the strings early on and fought vigorously for complete freedom - twice!

Canada seemed to go about it much more peacefully, but enjoys many freedoms, too.

Happy Canada Day again (as it's about to end)... but it'll still be an awesome weekend! Enjoy!