HOW TO: Install or Repair Microsoft Excel Features in Excel 2000
This article describes how to install, reinstall, or remove individual features of Microsoft Excel 2000.
This information is also covered in detail in Microsoft Excel 2000 Help. For instructions about how to view this information in Help, please see the REFERENCES section later in this article.
Install, Reinstall, or Remove Individual Features
In most cases, when you first attempt to use a feature that is not installed, Microsoft Excel 2000 installs the feature automatically. For example, if you point to Get External Data on the Data menu, and then click Run Database Query, Microsoft Query is installed.
If the feature that you want is not installed automatically, follow these steps.
NOTE: Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.
1. Quit all programs.
2. On the Windows Start menu, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
3. Double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon, and then do one of the following:
If you installed Excel with Microsoft Office, click Microsoft Office 2000 on the Install/Uninstall tab, and then click Add/Remove.
If you installed only Excel, click Microsoft Excel 2000 on the Install/Uninstall tab, and then click Add/Remove.
4. In the Microsoft Office 2000 Maintenance Mode dialog box, click Add or Remove Features.
5. In the Microsoft Office 2000: Update Features dialog box, select the feature and set its installation state as appropriate. For example, if you want to remove a feature, set it to Not Available.
6. When you are finished changing the installation states, click Update Now.
Reinstall or Repair Excel
This procedure detects and repairs problems associated with installed Microsoft Office programs, such as registry settings and missing installation files. It does not repair personal files such as worksheets or templates.
To run Detect and Repair, use either of the following methods.
1. On the Help menu in Excel, click Detect and Repair.
2. Click Start.
To restore program shortcuts to the Windows Start menu, make sure that the Restore my shortcuts while repairing check box is selected.
1. Double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon in Control Panel.
2. Double-click the Office 2000 or Excel 2000 entry listed in the Add/Remove Programs dialog box.
3. Click Repair Office.
4. Click either Reinstall Office or Repair errors in my Office installation, and then click Finish.
NOTE: If you selected Repair errors in my Office installation, select the Restore my shortcuts check box if you are having problems with your Office
For more information about how to install or remove individual features of Microsoft Office or Excel, click Microsoft Excel Help on the Help menu, type install or remove in the Office Assistant or the Answer Wizard, and then click Search to view "Install or remove individual features of Microsoft Office or Excel".
For more information about automatically repairing Microsoft Office or Excel, click Microsoft Excel Help on the Help menu, type repair Excel in the Office Assistant or the Answer Wizard, and then click Search to view "Automatically repair Microsoft Excel".
For additional information about automatically repairing Microsoft Office or Excel, click the article numbers below to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
235620 OFF2000: How the Auto-Repairing Feature Works
230672 OFF2000: Differences Between Repair and Reinstall
? Microsoft Excel 2000 Standard Edition