Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That darn sp2 again

Advisor
    We did a fresh install of WinXP then right away did SP2.. was working fine but now will not let me do some Windows updates.. 2 critical...anyone having the same problem??

Did you install SP1 first? Try that, then install SP2! :P

Mentor
    I'm not sure if this is a SP problem. Maybe windows update is not working right now.

Associate
    What do you mean by it's not letting you? Errors, messages, need more info

For myself, I installed XP with SP1 intergraded and then went to SP2. No problems, just checked and windows update is working fine.
    http://www.subdir.net/myFiles/logo.jpg
    Computer Specifications
    | CPU: Intel P4 3.0C
    | Motherboard: ASUS P4C800-E
    | RAM: Corsair 2x512MB PC3200 Dual-Channel
    | Video Card: nVidia GF4 Ti4400
    | Audio Card: Creative Audigy 2 ZS
    | Hard Drives: 36.7GB WD Raptor, 2x120GB WD Special Edition
    | OS: Windows XP Pro

Advisor
    Originally posted by Max@Oct 14 2004, 10:10 PM
    What do you mean by it's not letting you? Errors, messages, need more info

For myself, I installed XP with SP1 intergraded and then went to SP2. No problems, just checked and windows update is working fine.
    [snapback]389[/snapback]
    not on that computer right now so I'll tell ya tomorrow.

Advisor
    Well today I did a windows update Installation with no problem so gen's hunch was correct - it must have been down, but insead of me going crazy why don't they say it don't work instead of me thinking my computers screwed...arse holes man

Any way this one has not work at all for me, ever -- its nvidia drivers for a Gforce 2 mx400 64mb, it wont install ...the driver in in now are 5.6.7.3 4/7/2004 which are fairly up to date. Window does not tell me witch nvidia drivers they want to download on the update.There are only 2 new ones for this old clunker and I think its probably good for this machine no? (P4 1.6)
    Here is the error code it gives me

"Error Code: 80246002
    Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the following sources"

Mentor
    Of course... I'm the hunch champ.

So this nvidia drivers for a Gforce 2 mx400, hardware, driver or what is causing problem?

Advisor
    Originally posted by genesis@Oct 15 2004, 12:19 PM
    Of course... I'm the hunch champ.

So this nvidia drivers for a Gforce 2 mx400, hardware, driver or what is causing problem?
    [snapback]393[/snapback]
    No not really, I even put far cry on it to try it for a joke and it runs -- a little choppy here and there but its playable..I know what your going to say...if it aint broken don't fix it but I'm afraid when I give this computer back to the daughter and she does the updates she is not going to know what to do but I can tell her but that stupid thing will do that forever...

Mentor
    You mean when you do a windows update for the video card? You shouldn't do that, because those drivers are not for performance but for basic functionality and compatibility with Windows. Best drivers are the manufacturers drivers in most cases and if they are working fine, you should leave it at that.

Advisor
    Originally posted by genesis@Oct 15 2004, 01:34 PM
    You mean when you do a windows update for the video card? You shouldn't do that, because those drivers are not for performance but for basic functionality and compatibility with Windows. Best drivers are the manufacturers drivers in most cases and if they are working fine, you should leave it at that.
    [snapback]395[/snapback]
    Got ya... I think this chapters closed...well for today anyway... :lol: Thanks gen...