Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Which Ports Open
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Ports Open

Which Ports Open

How can I find out which ports are open & closed in Windows 2000? It was some recent changes made to my user id at work, for some reason I'm not able to use ssh(putty client) to access my linux box at home. I was able to access it before these changes. The changes were suppose to be better for my id.

Thnx.

Re:Which Ports Open

Good Guru

Generally it works like this -- no firewall means everything is open. Get a firewall and tell it what to have open or what apps can talk.

Well we use the Websense filter but its been in use all the time. Ok if I use Putty to connect to my home box, what port does putty use to go out?

** Update **
    I can ping my home box IP numbers fine. When I start putty, I receive the "Network Error; Connection Timed Out" message.

Thnx.

*** Update2 **
    I found this on putty site.
    10.17 ‘Network error: Connection timed out’

This error means that the network connection PuTTY tried to make to your server received no response at all from the server. Usually this happens because the server machine is completely isolated from the network, or because it is turned off.

Check that you have correctly entered the host name or IP address of your server machine. If that fails, consult the administrator of your server.

I guess it has something to do with my home box.

Mentor

you could scan your ports withthis web site.

http://www.grc.com/default.htm

scroll to the Hot Spots section and click SheildsUP! this will scan you r computer for open ports.

[quote author=Saptech link=board=25;threadid=9760;start=0#msg88688 date=1094612108]
    Ok if I use Putty to connect to my home box, what port does putty use to go out?[/quote]

Port 22

*** Update2 **
    I found this on putty site.
    10.17 ‘Network error: Connection timed out’

This error means that the network connection PuTTY tried to make to your server received no response at all from the server. Usually this happens because the server machine is completely isolated from the network, or because it is turned off.

Check that you have correctly entered the host name or IP address of your server machine. If that fails, consult the administrator of your server.
    If you can ping your box, but not ssh to it, chances are they no longer allow port 22 traffic through. If you can't ping by name or ip, then they are restricting access to unknown networks, like at my job. I can't get radar.ath.cx by name and they block ping

Thnx for the replies. I did scan it with Gibson site and port 22 was closed. I have it open in stealth mode, by grc.com.

I won't be able to check it till I go back to work Sat. night.

** Update **
    Port 22 is not open. How do I manually open it? I thought it was open but it's not. I'm using Debian Sid at the moment.

Only thing I have is a Dlink 4 port router and going in the router admin page I have the ssh server active. No software firewall.

Thnx again.

Are you forwarding port 22 to the local machine (or is that what ssh server active meant?)?

When you go to your router's setup ip, mine is 198.168.2.1 (yours might be similar).. and then you can go to virtual servers and forward port 22 -> your internal ip.

Yes that's the way it's setup at router. Everything at home is basically the same, I made changes at work and that's when it seems to have stop letting me get access to home box.

I've made some changes at home but won't go back to work till Sat. night and will let you know what happens then.

When I went to www.grc.com, it show port 22 closed. I think I have it open now. I don't know how it got closed.

*** Update
    Now I just left grc.com and using shields up, if I choose All ports, it show port 22 stealth mode, but if I choose Common ports, it show it as closed. Any ideas why?

Thnx.