Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Okay, its been a while, but the repo is ready... I think.

Thread: Okay, its been a while, but the repo is ready... I think.

Good Guru

Okay, its been a while, but the repo is ready... I think.

I need some final work to be done, but thats where you guys (and gals) can aid me.

You can either:

1) Message/Post/email me the name of a few packages that arent in the standard FC6 repos or in livna (since most use that, but if the package is there thats fine, I use vms for builds and testing).

2) Test it yourself. Build a vm in xen, parallels, or vmware. Back it up. Rename it master. After building a package this is used to restore a test environment. Clone it or copy it to a work area (twice at first since you are also going to need a build area). Make the rpm and srpm here. Copy those files from the build area to the test are and test them out. Once assured as decent rpms, let me know.

Once I get 20-25 packages tested, or submitted (those submitters will get early access to the repo), the repo's name and setup info will be posted. Right now, all I can do is FC6, and soon I will spearhead CentOS as well. Once a process is definined, I hope to see a Ubuntu one, a Arch one, and soforth. Again, once the process is defined. I prefer to keep the community in charge to a degree, but if this is to hold OpenFree's name on it, I think Peter should be our benelovent dictator, right?

Thanks,
    Andrew.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good Guru
    Is there zero interest?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good Guru
    I think you should wait until the merger issue settle ...

Me, I don't run Fedora so I can't really help you there.

- The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

New to linux or I would help out as well. I have enough machines laying around doing nothing.
    RickDev
    "Nobody knows what I do until I stop doing it."

|
    |

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Compunuts View Post
    I think you should wait until the merger issue settle ...

Me, I don't run Fedora so I can't really help you there.
    So in that case where did the peeps interested go? Perhaps if everyone is going to crap a calf with response to what Peter does, I should not tie it to OpenFree.org then right?

Quote Originally Posted by RickDev View Post
    New to linux or I would help out as well. I have enough machines laying around doing nothing.
    Well as I noted on some other thread, I wanted to make a community repo. I said I can do Fedora and CentOS. If you are going to get into another distro, feel free to grab that one. For example if you try out Ubuntu and love it, feel free to help out on a Ubuntu repo.

Now a repo is short for software repository. Linux instead of the usual .MSI or .EXE installers Windows uses, has a rather painless method called packages. Red Hat created RPM and Debian the DEB. Using repos, a large amount of software can be installed (or uninstalled too) or updated in one fell swoop.

As far as the goal here, it is to create a simple repo that any users here can request a package of and get it made available for any of the supported linux distros. What are supported? Well whatever the forum's community chooses to do the work on. As noted I got the Red Hat ones. Anyone who steps forward can have any other one, or help out with an existing one. Their will be at least one leader that will decide what packages are properly built and release them to the public, and a few package builders and testers. I found the safest method to be the aforementioned VMWare/Parallels one, although with careful chrooting one can do it (a bit more tricky I think).

If things go sour here, Ill go more public to something like a schottypackages repo rather than an openfree, but I prefer to NOT do that.

Well, let me get back from vacation and start really playing around with linux and see what I can learn and see if I would be able to help in some way. I downloaded Ubuntu server and have it installed and plan on the desktop version as well so I can play in both worlds.
    RickDev
    "Nobody knows what I do until I stop doing it."

|
    |

Good Guru
    Cool, give it a whirl, but definitely go for a Desktop one rather than server.

Glad to see another soul freed!

Sorry man. I've been quite busy lately, but have been waiting for this for awhile. On the run now, but I'll log back in later and read everything you posted.

EDIT: I'll get a few PPC ported packages ready this weekend, or first few days of next year. I have quite a few that I've been meaning to build anyways.
    Last edited by Kernel_Killer; 12-30-2006 at 03:34 AM.
    arrogance breeds ignorance