Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Important Forum Announcement - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Important Forum Announcement

It's a mix of chnage in focus, change in community etc. Reasons are peppered all through the thread...
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Quote Originally Posted by Schotty View Post
    Always a fan of wild tangents, how is Corsair overall? I have had a wonderful track record with Crucial over the last 10 years almost. Would you you reccomend them without reservation?
    These are my first sticks and they broke 9 months into a life time warrenty. Very unimpressed.
    Why are you not using Fedora Core?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mentor
    all right i read all the posts in this thread and i came up with this....

From what i see all most the people that came from LJR were the ones upset about the merger because peter (the new owner of the board) made changes with out asking the community first.

I think that is the big problem here, we are still trying to get back the magic that was LNO and LJR. THEY were truly communities and the mods and admins actually cared what the memebers had to say about what was going on in the forums and actually took the advice and ran with it. Thoses boards were not without thier drama but that is what made them so good.

I'll admit it if noone else wants to, towards the end of LJR there was very little posting going on there and a change needed to be made, but a change to this i dont think was the greatest idea for cloverm, but then again we didnt own LJR, but he still should have hinted to it.

I dont think starting a new board is the answer, there is alot of good info and alot of hard work on this board that will be lost if we go elsewhere.

I agree with everyone that the name IT discussion forums SHOULD be changed to something that more accurately describes what goes on here.

I said it before and i'll say it again i'll go where my brothers and sister ( cybergal...) go but i truly believe that if peter whats to run a successful board he needs to start asking the opinion of SOME of the senior members of the COMMUNITY before he goes and does such a drastic thing because weather he owns the board or not WE the MEMBERS can make it a success or let it just fall off the internet.

Peter - here is 2 more cents - i personally think it was foolish to bring MS on to a board called openfree and expect it to go over with out a fight. 99% of us are here because we dont want anything to do with MS and to be violated like that is just uncalled for!

see ya!!

Quote Originally Posted by boblucci View Post
    I'll admit it if noone else wants to, towards the end of LJR there was very little posting going on there and a change needed to be made, but a change to this i dont think was the greatest idea for cloverm, but then again we didnt own LJR, but he still should have hinted to it.
    I don't think anyone is denying that, but we are trying really hard to get back to the core that made LJR great - Peter seems to be working in another direction without asking for our input on the matter. I don't think inviting a whole bunch of Windows users onboard is a way to get that back not that I mind Windows users on a personal level but it doesn't fit with what we used to have and what many of us long to have back.

I think starting a new forum is a good idea if not because Peter has not even commented on the option of undoing this merger so despite promises of being a community it honestly feels more like a dictatorship. That's just his leadership style and some of us don't agree with that, rather than wreck community we can go do our own.

But yes we do need to inspire to action, that is a driving focus - I personally will be doing what I can to steer whatever comes out of this towards creativity and content creation.
    Why are you not using Fedora Core?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have admitted to acting hastily on the merger. I still believe we have not given it enough time. I have taken Lovechild's suggestions for RFCs and created a proposal to reduce the risk of unilateral changes to which the membership is opposed. I believe his is a good suggestion, and would welcome your comments on it.

A community needs some structure to channel everyone's voices in a constructive manner. This should be viewed as an opportunity to achieve better consensus through the involvement of the entire membership.

The failure in communication was partly due to a lack of understanding of some of your motivating factors. The RFC methodology should make the running of any forum, no matter its size, more participatory and functional for all members, junior or senior, by both clarifying their viewpoints and providing an objective measurement tool for them.

My sites:
    -

Though I think that developing established process is a good step in the right direction, I believe you need to define the focus of the forum.

Is openfree now officially an IT discussion forum? Is it Open-Source IT? If not, what role does Open and Free has on the forum?. Is it time for a name change to represent the new focus?

If it is an general IT forum, will the focus stay on IT, or will it become something else if the opportunity arises?
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.