Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Important Forum Announcement - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Important Forum Announcement

I think that, besides disliking some decisions already taken, it boils down to that Icon on the top left hand corner. Somehow, we are now members of an IT discussion forum. None of us signed up for that. Besides obvious technological differences, there is a big philosophical attitude associated with linux and open source software that, at best, is not present on a generic IT forum.
    Besides this, there are other differences. A small one, but one i noticed this monring, is the different audience. I was reading today the "What is your age?" thread. The majority of the posters were in their teens. Though that is not a bad thing at all, it would be naive to ignore the interest and focus differences between the different audiences.
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by trickster View Post
    1. Stay here and get used to the way the forum is moving.
    I don't think this is going to be possible.

2. Migrate to a new forum.
    I'm interested in this. And we should move this talk off of this forum too. If LC is interested, we can talk on his site via blog posting or I can set up a forum (temp) really quick. Then we can decide things.

3. Migrate to other already exisitng linux forums
    I'm already in a few forums. I dislike forums run by corporations so I'm more interested in community run forums.

Even though each of us could make a choice by ourselves, it'd be nice if all of us made a similar choice; we already know each other and the chemistry we can expect.

So what do you guys think?
    Yeah, that would be nice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Please do shot me a mail, maybe we can arrange a conference call or something. I might just have been brewing over a few ideas of interest.

A word of warning, last night at around 2am my lovely AMD64 X2 machine decided to commit suicide so I'm currently stuck on my ancient laptop and I just can't stand working on a machine this slow and horrible for any lenght of time so I won't be available on IM at least. I won't be able to get my machine to the shop till at least Wedensday, depending on what the real issue is (I suspect by the failure that the CPU or the motherboard is to blame) this may take weeks to get fixed as I can't accept newer replacement components since they would not work with what I have and they don't carry the older models in stock anymore, hell some of it isn't even being made anymore. The only good thing that can be said is that at least it didn't wait till after the warrenty ran out to die - otherwise I would have been left literally without a computer for the next year because I can't possibly justify spending money again on entirely new components.

The thing is, I bought high quality components exactly to avoid this kind of crap - I paid good money for to get a computer that would last me years.. instead it lasted only 9 months.

2007 just isn't my year... and we're not even a week into it, man this is not boding well.
    Last edited by Lovechild; 01-05-2007 at 11:36 AM. Reason: me superior human being, you spell nazi
    Why are you not using Fedora Core?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by RickDev
    I am not sure what the whole deal with the merge was as far as financial, but would that help resolve some of the conflict or is this more of "the damage as been done" sort of deal?
    There are many ways the merger could have been handled, which would eased the transition, for my part alot of the things that lately have been going on here at openfree, reminds me a whole lot about when LNO was boughtout and Sensei got sacked, it's a very similar pattern, and to be honest I won't stand for that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    Somehow, we are now members of an IT discussion forum. None of us signed up for that. Besides obvious technological differences, there is a big philosophical attitude associated with linux and open source software that, at best, is not present on a generic IT forum.
    Precisely, I love the community, I loved LJR for it, it never gave the impression to be a place where you'd get all your questions answered, eventho we tried.
    If you looked at the statistics, I think it was the Playground which had top postings at all times.. I even belive the "Lets get 100000000000000 post" thread was the most viewed and posted.
    LJR was a place where you could get an answer to the most outrageous question within the IT section, and also a place where you would get a pad on your shoulder to let you know it's OK, eventho you just spilled your guts, complaining about love trouble or whatever you might be dealing with psychologicaly.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    I was reading today the "What is your age?" thread. The majority of the posters were in their teens. Though that is not a bad thing at all, it would be naive to ignore the interest and focus differences between the different audiences.
    This is partly true, you can never count on audiences acting their age..
    But I belive what made LJR great for us, was the fact that we were all within the same agegroup. (give or take 10 years) And at a large scale was within the same development in our lives, eventho we were spred across the globe.

If this merger/mess requires another community to be sprung, then I'm with you, we've done it befor and eventho it will require some work, and we might lose a few in the move, it will be worth the effort to try and regain the loss this LJR/openfree merger has cost us so far.
    Last edited by redhead; 01-05-2007 at 11:54 AM.
    Don't worry Ma'am. We're university students, - We know what We're doing.
    'Ruiat coelum, fiat voluntas tua.'
    Datalogi - en livsstil; Intet liv, ingen stil.

Whatever the rest of the ljr members decide to do I'm with you. I really have no big issue with the merger but it does sorta conflict with Linux by adding a major Windows forum.

We have been pushed around alot without asking our opinion, even with cloverman not asking our opinion or if the rest of the members would like to take over ljr. I think that was shabby.

Just my thoughts!
    Microsoft aims to 'borg' Yahoo in $44.6 Billion deal
    "We are Microsoft. Resistance is futile"

I have to admit, I am with those who seek to flee and start anew again. I wish to be a part of a community that promotes and supports Free Software. I get enough time providing Windows support at work; I do not wish to extend this into my private time.

I also find that this place has become rather cold, impersonal and, well, boring.

I think I'll signup on LC's blog and follow the developments from there.
    TANSTAAFL

I made a TEMP forum (definitely not a final solution) as a TEMPORARY place to meet and sicuss what we want to do.
    Link is here:

http://electricorisha.com/linref

If you can contact any of the old ljr members, you might want to refer them there so they have input also.

As i mentioned earlier, this is not a solution to the problem, but just a meeting place to decide wha tto do.
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

unrelated, my machine is back - one of my 1GB Corsair sticks ate flaming doom. I'm now back to just 1GB of memory while waiting for a replacement.
    Why are you not using Fedora Core?

Good Guru
    Always a fan of wild tangents, how is Corsair overall? I have had a wonderful track record with Crucial over the last 10 years almost. Would you you reccomend them without reservation?

Mentor
    Sup All,

Can i ask a stupid question?

What is so wrong with this board? Is it just because of the merger with the windows forums?