Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

VNC questions (newbie) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VNC questions (newbie)

OK. I made some progress.

Tried the hub idea and was able to connect, no problem. Of course by default VNC displays just a terminal screen so I poked around on the web to find out how to edit .vnc\xstartup

After diving into vi for the first time (and floundering) I decided just to edit it directly using text editor. After a few attempts, I was able to create a VNC session to my FC6 box from my XP laptop.

The culprit? Client-based firewalls on both the XP box (Microsoft's OneCare firewall/spyware/antivirus offering) and FC6. Once I turned off both firewalls, I was connecting like a champ.

Now two more questions. I cannot seem to connecting using hostname. How and where do I set hostname in Linux? And what ports exactly do I need to open up? Just 5901 will suffice or are there other ports?

Thanks,
    JJJ

If you are trying to connect to linux by hostname on XP, go to C:\windows(WINNT)\system32\drivers\etc and add the ip and hostname of Linux box to the file called "hosts".

The easy way to get a display for VNC is to make a symbolic link in /home/username/.vnc to /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc called xstartup

Code:
    cd .vnc
    ln -s /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc xstartup
    For ports to open, as many as you have users that need displays. so for three users you want 5901, 5902, 5903.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have DHCP on my router. While I could reserve an IP address for my Linux box and update the hosts file on my XP laptop what if I didn't want to? Total noob inquiry. Just curious though.