Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VNC questions (newbie)

OK. I made some progress.

Tried the hub idea and was able to connect, no problem. Of course by default VNC displays just a terminal screen so I poked around on the web to find out how to edit .vnc\xstartup

After diving into vi for the first time (and floundering) I decided just to edit it directly using text editor. After a few attempts, I was able to create a VNC session to my FC6 box from my XP laptop.

The culprit? Client-based firewalls on both the XP box (Microsoft's OneCare firewall/spyware/antivirus offering) and FC6. Once I turned off both firewalls, I was connecting like a champ.

Now two more questions. I cannot seem to connecting using hostname. How and where do I set hostname in Linux? And what ports exactly do I need to open up? Just 5901 will suffice or are there other ports?

Thanks,
    JJJ

If you are trying to connect to linux by hostname on XP, go to C:\windows(WINNT)\system32\drivers\etc and add the ip and hostname of Linux box to the file called "hosts".

The easy way to get a display for VNC is to make a symbolic link in /home/username/.vnc to /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc called xstartup

Code:
    cd .vnc
    ln -s /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc xstartup
    For ports to open, as many as you have users that need displays. so for three users you want 5901, 5902, 5903.

I have DHCP on my router. While I could reserve an IP address for my Linux box and update the hosts file on my XP laptop what if I didn't want to? Total noob inquiry. Just curious though.