Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

chroot ?????????????

Thread: chroot ?????????????

chroot ?????????????

Dear all,
    Pls let me know what is called chroot envirenmant ?
    Bind is in the chroot directory, So is it secure?
    Can I setup sendmail in Chroot directory?
    If it is, Pls let me get the way of doing that?(URLS)

Hi,

Here is a description of chroot:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroot
    It was the first result of my Google search.
    Since "secure" is relative, there is no answer to wether it is "secure." It is more secure than running it w/o chroot, tough.
    I googled "sendmail + chroot" and got the following result:
    http://www.deer-run.com/~hal/sysadmi...rivileged.html
    It seems to be a guide for it.
    Also, the following link says how to chroot most services.
    http://www.tcu-inc.com/Articles/23/chroot.html
    I also found it by using Google.
    HTH!
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by lasanthaindika View Post
    Pls let me know what is called chroot envirenmant ?
    chrooting is putting services to their own environment thus the users can't go beyond what's in that directory. There are (of course always) pluses and minues on doing it.
    Bind is in the chroot directory, So is it secure?
    Relatively speaking, yes. But it all depends on your configuration of Bind and keeping up security patches. BUT if your Bind is in chroot jail, all the attacker can do is mess up your bind. The rest of the system will be intact most of the time.
    Can I setup sendmail in Chroot directory?
    This document will show you how to put common services in jail. Read it and follow it. Come back to us if you have any questions.
    If it is, Pls let me get the way of doing that?(URLS)
    You will have to find THE way. We will show you where to look. ( I've shown you with the above link )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Hey
    THANKS FOR ALL DETAILS.
    Its really help me.
    A gain
    THANK YOU