Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Up-to-date WLAN device compatibility list?

Thread: Up-to-date WLAN device compatibility list?

Up-to-date WLAN device compatibility list?

I'm planning to install wireless networking and of course the first step is to choose a WLAN adapter that is supported on Linux (with a native driver, ideally an open-source driver). But the latest hardware compatibility list I can find, at http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz, is really out of date - last updated in February 2004, two and a half years ago! Does anyone know of a more up-to-date list?

Good Guru
    Look at the hardware you want and ask them the native Linux driver. Really, they are the only one who can really provide them for you. Let them know why you passed on their hardware.

Other than that, look at chipset they built in the wifi card (I know it really is a bitch if not impossible) and hunt the driver for it before you buy it. Even than, it's not guarrantie. When I bought my netgear card, everyone was talking about how it was supported. But Netgear changed the chipset with v3 which I bought and it wasn't supported so I was stuck with ndiswrapper.

I don't know of any one who keep track of drivers for wifi cards though. Sorry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

I used Linux-WLAN for a couple years, but stopped. They didn't keep up with their drivers and you also had to reinstall it every time you upgraded your kernel.

I've been using ndiswrapper too. It's one less headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Compunuts View Post
    Really, they are the only one who can really provide them for you.
    Not true. All the free software community wants from the manufacturer are the specifications of how to control the device. The best Linux drivers, for most devices, are written by the FOSS community, not by the device manufacturer.

Good Guru
    So FOSS community supposed to write drivers for free for those hardware you reward them with your hard earned money??

I believe in voting with my wallet. The best I can do to help FOSS community.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No IT BS !!

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by observer22 View Post
    Not true. All the free software community wants from the manufacturer are the specifications of how to control the device.
    Right ! Like THAT is going to happen ....

No IT BS !!

Advisor
    Your best bet would be to check the varius driver communities for which cards they support and what problems the varius users notices, then chose one which shows the least trouble.
    A few sites to checkout: Madwifi, prism54, Atmel, Broadcom 43xx, RT2x00 (more RT2x00)

Oh, and Compunuts, ralink did just that, they released their drivers to the community, once they figured out there was no need to hide with their head in the sand.
    Atheros on the other hand bundled the firmware part into a binary only black box, which they then precompiled to the varius platforms and it is now part of the Madwifi driver, which explains the loss of 64bit support from that part.
    Intel provided enough info in order for a true in kernel driver to be developed, which is supporting the 2100, 2200 and 2915 chipset (all miniPCI cards) so with those theres no need to explecitly recompile the driver on a kernelupgrade.

So the manufactures are not all bad, but yes companies like Intersil, who wont reveal any info on how their chipset works, force driverdevelopers, like me, into unknown teritory of trial and error which can be a real hassle, like the development of firmwareextract, net2280dump and net2280dis from the prism54 project.
    Last edited by redhead; 11-18-2006 at 07:56 PM.
    Don't worry Ma'am. We're university students, - We know what We're doing.
    'Ruiat coelum, fiat voluntas tua.'
    Datalogi - en livsstil; Intet liv, ingen stil.

Advisor
    Oh, another thing, you might want to check the Linux Wireless LAN support for info on how and if your card is supported, but like the list you've first dug up, it too can be outdated, but what can you do with manufactures who changes chipsets within the same production, like SMC 2802W, where version 1 was fullMAC and version 2 was softMAC, and now theres a version 3 (china based) which is either something in between or uses a completely different chipset.. I havn't had a chance to get my hands on version 3 yet, but the unfortunate people who've bought a version 3 tells me theres no way they can get the driver working.
    Don't worry Ma'am. We're university students, - We know what We're doing.
    'Ruiat coelum, fiat voluntas tua.'
    Datalogi - en livsstil; Intet liv, ingen stil.

Thanks for the useful pointers

Quote Originally Posted by redhead View Post
    Oh, another thing, you might want to check the Linux Wireless LAN support
    A big "thank you" to Redhead - this list is much more up-to-date than the list I found originally - actually it seems to have started with that list as a base, and corrected/added to/updated it. The situation it reveals is not great, a lot of devices are not well supported in Linux; but at least it gives a lot of information about what works, what didn't work, and what wasn't known. It's a good starting point for someone (like me) who hasn't yet bought a card and wants to buy one that has a good chance of working with a native, open-source driver.

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by redhead View Post
    Oh, and Compunuts, ralink did just that, they released their drivers to the community, once they figured out there was no need to hide with their head in the sand.
    This is exactly my point. Why not encourage hardware vendors who release hardware spec to OSS community by buying their product and telling them why you choose them in the first place?

I DID just that with my MFC printer (the biggest purchase I made). I'm happy with the progress Brother made eventhough they don't have a driver yet made for my distro for my Arch. They DO have it for rpm 64 bit drivers so it should be easy to do it for my Ubuntu 64 but I just don't have time to do it yet.

As a user, we should always reward to those who care about its users need and punish those who don't.

My netgear card WAS based on Atheros chip on V2 but they changed to softMAC on v3 and I missed that (darn!!)

Intel provided enough info in order for a true in kernel driver to be developed, which is supporting the 2100, 2200 and 2915 chipset (all miniPCI cards) so with those theres no need to explecitly recompile the driver on a kernelupgrade.
    Hopefully that's going to last a little longer. Intel is shreading its non-core business units and the communication unit might be one of them. But then again wifi seems to be the future so they will be smart enough to keep it growing. I'm waiting for WiMax to materialized and have its cards cheap enough for me to buy it.

So the manufactures are not all bad, but yes companies like Intersil, who wont reveal any info on how their chipset works, force driverdevelopers, like me, into unknown teritory of trial and error which can be a real hassle, like the development of firmwareextract, net2280dump and net2280dis from the prism54 project.
    I don't think ALL MFGs are bad. There are some who do good. But I also understand the business part of the deal like VGA business. You want to keep your edge. So I don't really think Nvidia's binary only support is all that bad. But I'm going to see what AMD will do with ATI. If they will support opensource drivers with much more chipsets except highend chips, I'm buying their cards. It seems like all our choice is choosing the lesser of an evil than good and bad.

No IT BS !!