Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help the nvidia owners

Help the nvidia owners

A few days ago in response to Ubuntu' plan to integrate proprietary driver into their distro by default. I decided to run an experiment. Many community members speak big words about freedom and in many cases the tradeoff for freedom when it comes to drivers is a complete lack of functionality. This is highly evident with the nvidia drivers since we only have a 2d driver in X.org. Not wanting to deprive these people of functionality nor the freedom of having a driver that can be fixed and vetted for security and will work on setups that isn't profitable to support for the vendor.

There is a project out there to create such a driver and as an attempt to show that the talk of freedom is not mere words but also action I decided to see if we couldn't get 1000 people pledging a meager 10$ towards aiding that effort.

Now I don't own an nvidia card but I still care about these people having good supportable drivers with full functionality. So I urge you all to check out the pledge drive:

http://www.pledgebank.com/nouveaudriver
    Why are you not using Fedora Core?

My blog

I've mentioned it in the Openfree blog, and you can vote for it on Digg to help it get more awareness.

I could create a link on the forums to help promote it. Would that be OK?

k - i am in
    telnet mtrek.game-host.org 1701

Administrator Associate gr8rcake's Avatar
    137 Diggs and 20 comments in less than 1/2 a day.
    Lovechild, are the pledges going up quickly?

Advisor
    are the pledges going up quickly
    It seems at a rate of 4 pr. hour since LCs announcement.. Atleast while I've been monitoring it.
    Don't worry Ma'am. We're university students, - We know what We're doing.
    'Ruiat coelum, fiat voluntas tua.'
    Datalogi - en livsstil; Intet liv, ingen stil.

HOLY MOTHER OF ****!!!! :

We made the Digg frontpage which amongst other things means I'm seeing 80 pledges today alone. With more coming by the hour. We are also on the pledge bank frontpage. Funny how big this can grow when it started out as an attempt to show that there are alternatives to the defeatist approach taken by the latest Ubuntu by including non-free drivers. If we mobilise our base we can really do something worthwhile. This is one of the reasons I went for 10$, everyone can spare 10$ and that opens up the giving to us all rather than sitting back and saying that Red Hat, Mark Shuttleworth, Novell, etc makes tons of money on free software and we should just bug them till the donate towards this development. I strongly believe that we can do it if we stand together.

So thank you to the pledgers but we do need more as we are only at about 10% of the target but projections are better than ever. Thank you for the awesome morning present people, imagine going to bed looking at 20-30 pledges thinking we wouldn't make it and waking up with +90 pledges.

You can track the progress here:
    http://www.pledgebank.com/nouveaudriver/info

Impressively with all the wind in the sails I've only seen 2 abuse comments on the pledge page and nobody has sent me nasty emails.

My blog

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    I could create a link on the forums to help promote it. Would that be OK?
    No objections Peter, you can do any kind of advocacy you like for this so long as it doesn't involve spamming

My blog

Lovechild, you should mention it in your blog.

A few keywords and a listing on technorati might stir up some more interest.

There are almost 300 pledges. A native nvidia driver would have made life a lot easier with my dual monitor desktop.

Any new developments on the effort?

A few hours ago we passed the magic 1000 pledger mark and arrangements with the nouveau developers will be made as soon as humanly possible to get money in their hands.

Naturally people are welcome to continue pledging.

Thank you everyone.

My blog