Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

where can i find .profile and .login in linux system??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where can i find .profile and .login in linux system??

Hybrid View

where can i find .profile and .login in linux system??

tell me soon please!!

What distribution are you using, and what copy are you wanting? The user copies reside in the home folder of course (~/), and the skeletons live in /etc/profile and /etc/<shell type>.login (i.e. /etc/csh.login).
    arrogance breeds ignorance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'm not getting what u r telling!!

i'm installin a package in fc5 it is askin me to edit .profile and .login
    but i'm not findin those!!
    please help
    i'm new to linux!!

What are you trying to install? Does it say why it wants you to edit those files?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Qt

i'm installing a GUI software kit called "qt"
    it asked me to configure then make n then make install
    now its tellin me to add some path to PATH variable n put it in .profile
    n .login!

files beginning with a dot (.) are hidden files and are not visible with the default ls command.

You'll need to use the "ls -a" command.

The .profile file is usually in your home directory and can be edited with the command "vi ~/.profile", where ~ means your home directory.

That's weird that it's asking you to edit your profile and login. You should be ok without doing so though. Maybe it wants you to add something into your path for QT, and something in your login to start a part of QT. Regardless, you shouldn't have to worry about it right away. You might lose some functionality in QT, but it won't hurt your system.

i tried with that too
    all other files are present like .config .gnome .mplayer .xmms .openoffice.org2.0
    but .profile n .login r missing!!

If they don't exist, just make them.

touch ~/.profile
    touch ~/.login

this is what the Install file is telling:

In order to use Qt, some environment variables needs to be extended.
    PATH - to locate qmake, moc and other Qt tools
    This is done like this:
    In .profile (if your shell is bash, ksh, zsh or sh), add the
    following lines:
    PATH=/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.1.3/bin:$PATH
    export PATH