Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Dual boot Mandrake 10 and WinXP problems - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dual boot Mandrake 10 and WinXP problems

Associate
    I'm running just the x86 right now. My laptop is 64 bit, but I'm not going to put Linux on it until I have a good grasp of the OS. I work as a computer tech, so I know my way around hardware and Windows, but Linux is brand new to me...so it feels like I'm starting from scratch again. I'm liking the learning experience though.

Is apt4rpm just basically like the Windows installer, making it easier to install particular pieces of software on the Linux system? I'm still a bit unsure. (But haven't researcheed much, I admit)

I did find out how to switch between KDE and Gnome. Just like you said, it was a Sessions button on the login screen. All I had to do was look...I was impatient.

As far as the modem goes...that was definitely my problem. Unfortunately I had a TON of computer parts lying around just a month or two ago, including probably 4-5 modems. I bought a new laptop, and decided I didn't need all those parts cluttering a closet reserved just for computer parts, and I gave them to my brother. A couple of weeks later, he dumped them off at the landfill. They're long gone.

I have a few friends at work that have modems lying around, and I can get one from them...then I'll be able to really start learning the OS! Once I can be in Linux and connected to the internet so I can research from within the OS, things should go smoothly. (for instance, I got XMMS, and it said there was something missing and I couldn't install it...something about python if I remember right? Same thing goes for desklets...something about the glib?) I'll at least be able to search for those errors and correct them, learning during the process.

The downfall of living out in the country; no high speed internet....

Mentor

'net problems

Joey, I understand about that 'country' stuff.
    Keep a list of the sites that help you and share them with us. Lots of good stuff out in cyberland and you will be finding things that we ALL need.

If you get into your WayBack Machine and search the forum here you will find a ton of answers.

Make sure you try other distros also, It took years before I found a good one (IANAG).

Welcome to Linux, now you don't need to get a life.

All right i just reinstalled fedora core 4 myself. Apt4rpm isnt currently supported by fedora core 4. Essentialy apt is debians package manager allowing you to easily install packages without much fuss and configures things for you. An example would be
    #apt-get install xmms
    would completely installl xmms for you and all dependicies. There is a graphical front end for apt that will allow you to search for packages and install them and handle upgrades. Apt4rpm is what made me really like fedora core, they are currently wortking on a version for fedora core 4 but its not out yet. As youll see fedora core is both a power users and a easy to use distro it provides a lot of options.
    On xmms im unsure, do to errors with things ive always done install everything. If you can post the exact error i can help. Due to licensing issues by default fedora core 4 doesnt playback mp3s. Anyhow here a fedora forum, you can search there
    http://fedoraforum.org/forum/
    http://www.fedorafaq.org

Also it seems yum another package manager has improved, much like apt
    #yum install amarok
    installs amarok. So possibly look up on yum

Associate
    I've now got a modem that allows me to connect with my Linux OS, and it works, but unfortunately the driver (downloaded from linuxant) will only allow me to connect at 14.4. For a "small fee" of 15 bucks (probably the cost of the modem itself) I could purchase a driver for them to bump the speeds up to 56k...but I'm not up for paying for something like that right now. BUT...I'm connected at least.

I'm in my Windows OS right now, so I can't get the error messages to post here right now, but when I have a few minutes, I'll boot Fedora again and get those errors up here in a hurry.

I did do some research on it, and if I remember right, one of the problems I had was that i had to upgrade the glib (am I saying that right?!) and that was a pain for someone that hasn't done it before. I saw that other people were having problems because it wasn't just a straight upgrade. The "old" version had to be uninstalled, then the new one installed. Since I'm a newb to the console, that spooked me for a bit right about then, and I pushed it aside for a little while.

I will, however, return to it.

I'll be back with some error messages. Only way to learn it is to do it!

Is cable internet not an option?? I know you said you live in backwoods maine.... but there should be something.

Distance should no longer be a factor in keeping you from high speed internet.

What area of maine are you in?

Associate
    Actually, just yesterday I got a response from Adelphia to an email I wrote to them a the day before. They told me once again that HSI wasn't available in my area. (I've literally been checking with them for over two years...they tell me to check back every six months.)

Verizon offers DSL, but not out this far. They say I'm too far from the nearest station.

I'm in central Maine, Penobscot County. I'm literally about 7 miles from people who get both cable internet, and DSL...but I can't get it. It sucks...

Satellite costs $600 for equipment and $70 a month, and they say it's only about 10 times faster than dial-up. (and upload speeds suck)

Oh well...part of the peace and quiet of the country also comes with some consequences!