Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dual boot Mandrake 10 and WinXP problems

Dialup connection, eh?

What desktop environment are you using? The answer to this may make setting up the ppp account very straightforward for you.

Sounds like you have a winmodem.

Associate
    Well, just because I wasn't familiar with either of them really, I installed both KDE and Gnome. I thought it would let me choose between the two on boot or something, but it didn't. It went right into the OS. From what I can tell, it's Gnome. (Footprint isntead of the K and gears) Was this wrong to install both of them? Will it cause problems? Should I, or is there a way to, uninstall one of them now that they've been installed?

And if I have a winmodem, is there a way to get this up and running?

Though this is a huge concern for me; connecting to the internet...I'd rather have my video issues fixed first. I can't stand looking at that huge desktop. Do you know where to find drivers I could use.

I'm off to search for them now, during my spare time at work (on a T1 line, not dialup) but any help would be great! Once I get the video working, and the connection to the internet....at least I'll be able to sit at home in the Linux OS and search the internet for my answers. It's a pain to need info, reboot into Windows and connect, reboot into Linux and do what I was told..hoping it will work.

Will this work?
    https://support.ati.com/ics/support/...asp?deptID=894

Thanks again guys...you're great.

Re: Choices?

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal Error
    JRO, it could be worse, you may have to live in NJ
    ... *sigh :roll:
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

try this.

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/...asp?deptID=894

and get this

ATI Driver Installer size 35.1mb Version: 8.14.13

Sould install by doing this in terminal

sh (filename)
    in the direcrectory its in,

then cross your fingers that you have all the dependences.
    Good luck

Associate
    I didn't notice that that link doesn't bring you to the driver. I downloaded the X.Org 6.8 and XFree86 4.3 files. I'm going to check to see what X-Windows version I have when I get home.

And cross my fingers...

By the files size you state, I'm guessing you were talking about the ATI Driver Installer listed there. What's the difference between that and the above mentioned drivers?!

The ati installer probably determines what you're running, where its located and it makes it a lot easier to install the correct driver....

Otherwise, you might be looking at having to recompile x/xorg

Associate
    I got the vid drivers installed ad it worked great. I'm still learning this stuff, but simply getting the os up and running smooth is helping.

As far as the modem goes, it is a winmodem. PCTel HSP56 Micromodem, and there are drivers for it. Unfortunately, there are no drivers for the 2.6.X kernel, which I'm running. I have to look into getting a different modem. (I have one in another system I'm going to try.)

After the modem situation is straightened out, I had some problems installing a few other things that I'll have to take care of, but that'll be a LOT easier if I can be connected while in Linux so I can just search for the answers without having to boot back and forth between Linux and Windows.

Thanks to you all for your help!

glad to hear you got it working!!

We'll help you out as much as we can....

Real quick you running x86-64 or x86. IF you run x86 you may want to check out apt4rpm. It ports debians package manager to fedora making installing things alot easier. In case you didnt get it you said something bout not being able to swtich between kde and gnome. On the login screen there should be something like session clicking that will bring up the various desktop environments. Also you can install as many desktop environemtns or window managers as you want. It may be set on auto login so find administratition and find login screen setup it will ask for a root password but this will alow you to change the login managers features.

apt4rpm isnt available for x86-64, and is currently listed as fc3. One pitfall is fedora cores update utility last time i used it, took forever to update i dont know if that was fixed and apt4rpm takes care of updates for you or would.
    http://freshrpms.net/apt/

On the winmodem that was what halted my first test with linux, until i got broadband, unsur but modems cost barely anythign now. Logging in with MSN shouldnt be too tough either, need anything else just ask.