Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Dual boot Mandrake 10 and WinXP problems - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dual boot Mandrake 10 and WinXP problems

You could use The windows bootloader to handle choosing the OS, or you could use something like system commander if you can't get lilo to do it for you.

I second mcangeli on that. If you don't want to mess around with you MBR, just install the bootloader to a floppy. Or, just make sure Windows is setup to boot by default, that way unless someone interviens, it will boot to Windows.

Here is a pretty good tutorial on making a boot floppy for Grub:
    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Bootable_Floppy_with_GRUB

Or here is a pretty good rundown on how to multiboot with the Windows Boot loader:
    http://pcquest.ciol.com/content/netw.../100080119.asp

Let us know if you run into any problems!
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Mentor

Huh?

1. Boot Linux

2. Done

Yea, I've always thought it best not to mess with windows. Especially XP doesn't have fdisk.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. This is only a test.

der.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. This is only a test.

der.

right. He's a nutter (sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm working the bugs out in the email problem...)

Quote Originally Posted by mcangeli
    Yea, I've always thought it best not to mess with windows. Especially XP doesn't have fdisk.
    Some of us unfortunately don't have that luxury.
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Mentor

Choices?

JRO, it could be worse, you may have to live in NJ

Associate
    Sorry about being gone for a bit, and not updating/paying attention to this thread.

I've now successfully installed Linux dual booted with Windows XP Pro. One change though; I used Fedora Core 4 instead of Mandrake. (Mandrake hates me) I backed everything up, crossed my fingers, and took the plunge.

It went flawlessly.

I installed Grub, and wrote over my mbr. I have it set to boot Windows by default for my wife, and I can easily boot into Fedora...no problems.

So, I do have a couple more questions. Not sure if it's ok to dump there here or just create new threads. I'll just do it here, and if you want I'll make new threads.

Upon booting into Fedora, I was greeted with an 800X600 resolution. That sucks. I run 1280X1024 on a 21" screen...so you can just imagine how I feel looking at an 800X600 monster of a desktop. Question 1: Where do I get drivers to accomodate my vid card? The OS recognizes my card correctly, but won't let me go higher than the 800X600 resolution. I have an ATI Radeon 9200, and purchasing an nVidia card for compatibility just isn't an option.

Question 2: How in hell do I set up my dial-up connection?!?! I tried to set it up, but it said it didn't detect a modem. It still let me set the connection up, but when I try to enable it, it gives me an error saying it cannot enable the device. (error 2 I think...sorry for not having more info) Don't beat me for this, but I use MSN dial-up service. I know I have to set up my username as MSN/username and password just as the password...but it won't even let me enable the modem...or whatever. (hehe, I'm a beginner, take it easy on me) I know it's a PCTel HSP56 Micromodem...do I need drivers? (I need to get out of the damn woods where dial-up isn't my only option!!!)

Thanks for all the help everyone!!