Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

RAID5 On Linux (Hardware Based)

Thread: RAID5 On Linux (Hardware Based)

Hybrid View

RAID5 On Linux (Hardware Based)

I am basically a newb to Linux but I want to learn more about it.

I have an old server that has Win2000 disto on it now that is no longer in production here. I want to convert it to the new FC6 or maybe the Ubuntu version. I know I would like to set up send mail on it, maybe something else later.

One of my friends said this version should recognize my hardware and partition the drives for me. Can anyone point me to a good guide on this or point me in the right direction?

Am in the right Forum for this question?

My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

If you want hardware based RAID, use 3ware, and you'll never have to worry. A lot of RAID controllers are pseudo-hardware, meaning they are hardware based, but need software to read them. Highpoint is one of these, and even when you get a kernel that can read it, it's actually going to make you wish you hadn't used it.

3ware cards are true hardware based cards, and can be recognized by any OS, without adding anything at all. Adaptec is the same, but I'm not sure how well they are supported in ALL OSes, since they're issue with giving out documentation in 2005.
    arrogance breeds ignorance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAID 5 Site?

sorry is there a site link or something for help on RAID 5 for linux FC5. i have googled it but i keep coming up with software and i want hardware. thanks in advance for all the help.

I'm not sure what is it you are asking. Are you asking what raid controllers are supported under linux?
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Quote Originally Posted by trickster View Post
    I'm not sure what is it you are asking. Are you asking what raid controllers are supported under linux?
    i am actually looking for some sites on how to set up a hardware RAID 5 with FC5
    Thanks for the help