Thread: Win Vista RC1

Win Vista RC1

Recently I installed Windows Vista RC 1 and everything went okay except it overwrote Grub bootloader. Now I've been able to reinstall grub to MBR and all that is fine.

What I need to know is what do I add to grub to have Vista listed in the grub menu? Would it be the same as Win XP but only change the /dev info? Vista is on /dev/hda9 and XP on /dev/hda1

Also, after installing Vista, I don't have any cable internet access. Any websites or suggestions on getting this to work? Seems odd it didn't pick that up.

Thnx.

Steve
    Microsoft aims to 'borg' Yahoo in $44.6 Billion deal
    "We are Microsoft. Resistance is futile"

It seems that Vista installed its bootloader in /dev/hda1 with XP and choosing XP, I get windows loader for XP or Vista. So that problem is solved as far as I'm concerned.

Some reason, Vista is not recognizing the driver for my 3com nic (3C59X). It's a basic ethernet nic and you would think Vista picks it up but it's not.

Any ideas.

I finally got the driver installed for my nic and now cruising the internet under Vista.

Not bad I guess for Windows, but the release I have say its the Ultimate version, so I wonder what the home version will be like!

Quote Originally Posted by GhostDawg View Post
    I finally got the driver installed for my nic and now cruising the internet under Vista.

Not bad I guess for Windows, but the release I have say its the Ultimate version, so I wonder what the home version will be like!
    Depends on which home version you get – basic or premiem. Basic is Vista minus aero desktop. All versions of home do not include things like file encryption or advanced networking features, rather like XP Home.

Ultimate, BTW, is going to be priced at something like $600!!!! Yikes! – I can buy a top of the line computer for that kind of green.

We have Vista Ultimate 180-day trial installed on a machine in the lab. I really freaking hate it. Aero is a damn video game and a train wreck of a UI. I guess that 90% of users will be befuddled and confused and never learn to use the advanced features of the system.
    TANSTAAFL

Yea Ultimate will be expensive and if I can't get a copy from the job, I won't be using any version at home.

I have the beta that expires in Feb. I guess it's the 180 day copy, but it did come with 32 & 64 bit versions.