Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interest for a self made apt/yum repo

Good Guru

Interest for a self made apt/yum repo

I have been getting bugged by a few of my buds that got onto the linux bandwagon recently to make them packages. I was pondering the concept of creating a OpenFree (or whatever) repo. Basically I propose a sponsor for the following distros and one or two packagers to start, more packagers are always cool :lol: . The packagers would submit to the sponsor (who ideally tests them in a VM like VMWare or Parallels), and then commits the package to the live feed.

Debain (tested on Debian, Freespire/Linspire, and Ubuntu)
    Fedora/CentOS
    SuSE/SLED
    Mandriva
    PCLinuxOS
    Slackware

I realize that not all of the distros are being used here, but this could really help scratch some itches that I have been seeing. Essentially what we do is find all the software that the main repos dont have and get them going here. I can host for now. Once I get shop up, that can be donated then as well.

What do y'all think? I of course volunteer for the Fedora/CentOS part ;D But lets not take it that we NEED to fill every distro, two more repos are better than zero. I have found lotsa software that isnt there in Ubuntu or Fedora that should get packaged up.

If the interest is there, I will get a domain and setup a wiki or whatnot to manage this all. I prefer to have it be OpenFree centric (most of my trusted net-colleagues are from here). Think about it, and let me know. I can train on how to test, setup your VM, and package. I just dont want to do 5 packages per app solo, which can add up quickly.

Good Guru
    That's a good idea. I have AMD64 3200+ with 1 GB of RAM and 500G drive should do the trick for some VM stuff so I can volunteer for 64 bits stuff.
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

So you're thinking of placing DEB and RPM files (created by the packagers) on the OF server and then create YUM and APT configuration files for members to use to download them?

I assume it would be just the add-on packages, not the entire distro.

If so, it sounds like a good idea. Should we get a PET done first so that it could be a template for others to contribute?

Any thoughts on packages to include?

Good Guru
    Repos are just addons. People install the distro (Ubuntu for example) then install packages via repos. There are times your favorite app is not in their default repo such as drupal, wordpress, etc. Then you can pacakge them and people just add your repo list to their sources.list file and get it install automagically.

No IT BS !!

Good Guru
    Actually I was stating on my own server. I have space that is available and bandwidth, but if you want I can mirror and you have the main repo.

And yes it would be a subset, I dont want to go beyond the packages we decide are useful.

I am glad there are a few bites. Ill setup a page soon for organizing this a bit.

Go ahead on your server. I don't want to be the bottleneck, so I'd feel better mirroring your server.

Let us know how it progresses and when you are ready, then I'll turn on the mirror.

Good Guru
    Okay cool. Ill look up a few domain names and grab a good one. Then I will install a wiki or drupal and yum and apt (does novell use something special?).

I will try to have this live ASAP. We shall see how quick I can get this all setup. I got some space left over at godaddy. I think I can bind that to another domain. So DNS becomes the issue.

Good Guru
    For project management, webcollab is a good tool to have.

No IT BS !!

Let me know when you're ready.

I want in on this too ;-). I create django and other python rpms for FC5/6 quote often and have just been posting them to my blog instead of a repo ...
    "In the heat of conversation I may have said certain things I believe to be untrue. The alleged lie that you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago ... thats a parasite that lives in my neck." -- Tad Ghostal