Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Telnet FC5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Telnet FC5

Telnet FC5

I have installed Fedora Core 5 on a new PC and want to use telnet from behind a firewall (not ssh). I have managed to get most things working as I can:
    ftp from new PC to another box
    ftp to new PC from another box
    telnet from new PC to another box

but cannot telnet to new PC from another box.

I am not a network or security expert but feel it is something to do with the security. I would very much appreciate if anyone can assist me.

Good Guru
    I may be wrong (since "m not very familiar with FCs anymore) but most distros nowadys do not install telnet server by default but they still include telnet clients. If you want to run telnet server, you get get from here. After you download, all you need to do is "rpm -i <packagename.rpm>" as root.

HTH ..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

telnet bounced

I have installed telnet using rpm: -i telnet-server-0.17-35.2.1.i386.rpm
    set "disable = no" in /etc/xinetd.d/telnet
    and rebooted my PC.

I get a new message when I try to telnet to my new FC5 PC:
    "Unencrypted connection refused. Goodbye"
    "Connection refused by forign host"

I think I have got a step closer. Any clues what to do next?

Good Guru
    I don't run FC and Telnetd so I'm not too sure. check in config file for telnet and see what setting are there. If you post it, may be we can look through it and guess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No IT BS !!

My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Are you sure you are using a telnet client to log in?

Sounds like you are using an SSH client that's attempting to connect on the telnet TCP port 23, and not the SSH port 22.

Or it could be vice versa, you are trying to use a telnet client to telnet to your server on the SSH port 22, which only expects encrypted traffic.

I think the second reason is more probable.

telnet now working

I really needed a bit of guidance and you provided it.

/sbin/chkconfig --list |grep telnet

The above command told me I had both krb5-telnet and ekrb5-telnet, and also the installed telnet all on. Initially I did not know what they were all for. After turning them on and off and testing my telnet connection from another box I realised that "ekrb5-telnet" was the encrypted telnet server that I needed to turn off to run "krb-telnet" which allowed non-encrypted telnet connections.

eg /sbin/chkconfig ekrb5-telnet off

Thanks for your help.

Good Guru
    Telnet and rlogin suck. Use ssh. Its the only secure one. If you must use telnet or rlogin, the smart way is to tunnel it thru ssh, but then that begs to ask why not just use pure ssh anyway ...

Good Guru
    One of the problem I found using public computers with SSH is, they don't have SSH clients installed. And they will not allow software to be installed. For example, cybercafes and colleges computer labs. When I was travelling out of country, I had to use cybercafes in airports and hotels. A pain in the rear for sure. But most OSes will have telnet clients built in such as Windows.

No IT BS !!

Good Guru
    Install it on a thumbdrive or setup a web gui one. I personally have a thumbdrive for all remote apps and another for personal data. If I need to go beyond that, my util dvd/cdrom better have it.

Plus if you are an admin, the last place you want to rlgoin/telnet into your server is at a cybercafe where you can almost expect to be sniffed (on an unencrypted lan too). Anyplace you cant install software, one can bet that there is probably not a VPN either.