Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slackware 11.0 is released!

Hybrid View

Mentor

Slackware 11.0 is released!

I've been running current for a few weeks. Its nice. Very nice.

I'll be downloading it once I get home in the morning...
    Microsoft aims to 'borg' Yahoo in $44.6 Billion deal
    "We are Microsoft. Resistance is futile"

Ok, I installed slackware 11 onto my external usb hard drive. Now I need to know how to add it to Debian's grub list.

First time using something other than IDE hard drives so what do I add to the current grub to boot slackware? Slackware still uses Lilo, which I added to the root partition of /dev/sda2...

The usb drive has two partitions

/dev/sda1, which is a fat32 partition

/dev/sda2, which has slackware 11 installed.

Thnx.

I added this to debian's grub and rebooted but got an error message about not finding the root device. I forget the exact message but will try again later and post it.

title Slackware 11 Linux (on /dev/sda2)
    root (hd1,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz
    savedefault
    boot

Any ideas on how to get this to work?

Thnx.

Mentor
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=472451

Hopefully that will be able to help you.

Mentor
    well, CP

How is the new slackware? I havent been around linux for a while but when i do use it i use slack 10.

Is it worth it to download and use or should i just keep 10?

Mentor
    I like it.

Honestly, I cant tell much difference between this a 10.2. I immediately installed the 2.6 kernel, and I'm running the CVS version of enlightenment. Its stable, fast, and does everything I need.

Install is as simple and easy as always. X works with no issues. Dropline is available if you're a Gnome user, and KDE is included.

All in all, I like it. But to be perfectly honest, I'm just a lazy user, who doesn't really look too much into the underlying system. I don't use Slack for any reason other than its simple, and I don't have to waste my time fighting through systems designed to make things "easier"

CP

Kind Mastermind
    I'm thinking about downloading it when I get back next month. I will probably put it on my HP laptop. We'll see how that goes.

I guess I'm getting back to the point where I much prefer simplicity over "simplifying". While I love Ubuntu, Slack still holds a special place in my heart. I guess it comes from having moved from "easy to install" versions of Linux (Corel, Mandrake, Caldera, Redhat) to so-called "hard to install" versions like Debian or Slack. I really love how easy it is to install just what you want instead of all the extra crap that gets added. Years ago I wouldn't think twice about installing an easy distro. Then I went the other way with Slack and Debian. Then I discovered the ease of use that is Ubuntu. Now I might just be swinging back to the other end of the spectrum. Who knows?

Anyone else moving back to Slack after one of the other "easy" versions?
    The one serious conviction that a man should have is that nothing is to be taken too seriously.
    Where facts are few, experts are many.

Mentor
    Thats exactly the reason I went back to Slack Stryder.

I was using Ubuntu, and I wanted to trim down my install a little. Remove Gnome, run fluxbox. Just a nice, clean simple install. I found I couldn't remove half of the software I didn't want to use, because one or another vital parts of the system depended on some obscure thing I never needed.

I realise that Ubuntu and these other "easy" distro's are really just designed for users who want them to work, and not for someone who wants to do a little tweaking, which is why I'm back where I am now.

Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by stryder144 View Post
    I'm thinking about downloading it when I get back next month. I will probably put it on my HP laptop. We'll see how that goes.

I guess I'm getting back to the point where I much prefer simplicity over "simplifying". While I love Ubuntu, Slack still holds a special place in my heart. I guess it comes from having moved from "easy to install" versions of Linux (Corel, Mandrake, Caldera, Redhat) to so-called "hard to install" versions like Debian or Slack. I really love how easy it is to install just what you want instead of all the extra crap that gets added. Years ago I wouldn't think twice about installing an easy distro. Then I went the other way with Slack and Debian. Then I discovered the ease of use that is Ubuntu. Now I might just be swinging back to the other end of the spectrum. Who knows?

Anyone else moving back to Slack after one of the other "easy" versions?

I started off with redhat. Then i went to mandrake and used that for a while but when slackware 9 came out i used that then i upgraded to 10, i just wanted to make sure they didnt go and make an Ubuntu style os. I dont think slackware was hard to install, it may not be as easy as say Mandrake 10 but it's not debain!!

I'm just getting back into using Linux after a long lay off of using the computer all together.

Thanks for the interesting reads guys