Thread: Question about installing GD on Linux Redhat

Question about installing GD on Linux Redhat

Hi,

As you will see I'm totally clueless and my apologies if this question has been asked and answered a 100 times already. Can't search for 'GD' it seems..

Anyway, I need to get GD on to my Linux Red hat server server and no where can I find the exact ways to get this done. Like I said I'm totally new to linux and there are mentionings of ./configure --with-gd but this is doing me no good.

I've got PHP 4.3.9 installed and so should come shipped with GD (2?) so all I have to do is enable it, right? If I do rpm -q gd it returns gd-2.0.28-4.4E.1 but that is as far as I get?

I'd be super grateful if anyone could give me step by step help on sorting this out!

Many thanks.

Administrator Moderator
    GD is a bunch of library files, so you don't have to activate it once it's installed.

From the RPM output, you have it installed and PHP should be able to automatically find it.

Sometimes if you install GD you have to restart Apache for Apache and its PHP plugin to be able to detect the new installation.

Thanks Starfish. I've restarted Apache but no luck.

I just discovered that libgd.so.2 sits in /usr/lib whereas my extension dir is /usr/lib/php4 - could it be as simple as copying the file over to this location and restarting?

Administrator Moderator
    I just remembered, in Redhat / Fedora PHP isn't GD enabled, but you can install the php-gd package to get it going.

Did you install the original php from source or was it an RPM?

I imagine it was installed from rpm. The server was partially set up before I got access to it so can't say for sure.

Managed to solve this by running up2date -i php-gd which took care of it. Hours spent on such a simple thing.... Thanks for your help.