Thread: installation problem of mandriva after changing PC

installation problem of mandriva after changing PC

due to various reasons, I had to put my Mandrake HDD into another PC.
    And I wanted to update its installation (I just downloaded today Mandrake 2007 Free and also tried with earlier versions before).

So far no problem, it recognizes the previous installation finds it and offers me to update, great so far, but unfortunately due to the fact that the pc in which the HDD has been had 4 HDDs, it cannot find the other drives/partitions and skips with "cannot find [path]" ([path] = path of the partition)
    So how can I skip this test/mount of the old partitions/drive or correct that info so the installer will continue?

Well, I am no Linux expert unfortunately so I do not know how I can fix this problem, hope anybody can help!

I put so much energy and time in my installation and configuration of my Mandrake, I do not want to re-do all. NO CHANCE

Also, the Linux partitions, they all were on only one drive, I can promise you.
    I did this "one HDD for one OS" very stricktly.

So, I think there must be a way to solve this.

Thanks in advance!

Administrator Moderator
    I'm not a mandrake expert, but I'd suspect that the best way to do this would be to boot the drive as is, without the upgrade, in single user mode.

I'd then edit the /etc/fstab file and comment out references to the 3 old drives.

Then I'd do the upgrade. The installation process is probably checking fstab to get the old drive information.

I hope that the missing drives only have data and no operating system directories like /var or /usr. It could be tricky if they do, because the upgrade could fail if key directories cannot be found.

Quote Originally Posted by starfish View Post
    I'm not a mandrake expert, but I'd suspect that the best way to do this would be to boot the drive as is, without the upgrade, in single user mode.

I'd then edit the /etc/fstab file and comment out references to the 3 old drives.

Then I'd do the upgrade. The installation process is probably checking fstab to get the old drive information.

I hope that the missing drives only have data and no operating system directories like /var or /usr. It could be tricky if they do, because the upgrade could fail if key directories cannot be found.
    Yes, I kept the rule "one HDD, one OS", so it's all on one drive

And I did that and ......Update has been done and now it says at configurating the boot loader (LILO):

"no such device, hda2"

Linux is by the way on hdb5

That may be because your /etc/boot/device.map file points to the wrong drive.

The /etc/boot/grub.conf file may have to be edited to match too.

Keep backup files and a rescue CD handy.

Quote Originally Posted by girlygeek View Post
    That may be because your /etc/boot/device.map file points to the wrong drive.

The /etc/boot/grub.conf file may have to be edited to match too.

Keep backup files and a rescue CD handy.
    Thanks!

I use the DVD and go to rescue -mount drives at /mnt
    then I go to recovery console

unfortunately there is no " /etc/boot/"
    only "/etc" and "boot@" in the root

I have setupped Mandriva back then to boot and write the bootmanager on a FDD, because back then it made my Windows stopping to boot up.
    I can only look at the disk from a Windows PC, since in linux the floppy seems not to be mounted.

Also , what confuses me, I am pretty sure I selected "Grub" during first installation years ago, but at the "restore linux boot sector " in the boot up menu of the CD, it seems to try to write LILO on the disk. the earlier mentioned error message comes from there.

I should maybe point out, it's the same PC and HDD, but I had to remove some HDDs and 1 DVD.

Cool hi

hi budy
    its not linux problem . ur problem is belongs to motherboard
    u first install mendriva in hdd its connected to another pc & now u join
    when u mandriva install its read mother board and install first mother board driver.
    now u connected anthor pc but ur mandriva have older driver so it not accpeted new mother board.

u will install a fress copy of mandriva . than ur problem is solved

(im not used mandriva but i think ur problem is it.)

Quote Originally Posted by vaibhav dadhich View Post
    hi budy
    its not linux problem . ur problem is belongs to motherboard
    u first install mendriva in hdd its connected to another pc & now u join
    when u mandriva install its read mother board and install first mother board driver.
    now u connected anthor pc but ur mandriva have older driver so it not accpeted new mother board.

u will install a fress copy of mandriva . than ur problem is solved

(im not used mandriva but i think ur problem is it.)
    Thanks for your reply, even if this thread is old!

Yes, this could instead be. Well, maybe Linux could implement a solution for that in the future? If Windows can (did it already a couple of times), Linux should, too!

Thanks again and Merry Chistmas (if you celebrate it) and a Happy New Year!