Thread: Using QTParted

Using QTParted

Hi guys/gals. I'm trying to resize my 250gb external hard drive. I've never used qtparted and when I resize 50gb, it show the new partition but when I click 'move' on the main partition, I get error message, This is a Virtual Partition, use Undo first. Also after doing this, the used space doesn't show any used space.

Is this the way it should work? Where is my data on the old partition, will it be showing once I commit the resize? Both partitions show as Primary, which is no problem.

Thnx.
    Microsoft aims to 'borg' Yahoo in $44.6 Billion deal
    "We are Microsoft. Resistance is futile"

Mentor
    If I were you, I would first resize the partition, and apply it. Then move the other partition.

If you try to do too many things at once, you get lost, and wipe your main OS because you thought it was another partition. Or maybe thats just me

I also think possibly because you haven't applied the first change, qtparted may be trying to apply the change to the original hard disk structure. Take it one step at a time and see how you go.

Thanks for the reply. Well the external drive is basically a backup drive. My main OS is on /dev/hda. I recently purchased the external drive and dont have a whole lot of data on it, so I will try your suggestion and see what happens.

I can burn to dvd the data first.

Thnx.

I have everything working as I wanted. I had the drive mounted and needed to unmount it first.

Thnx.