Thread: setting up small lan help plz

setting up small lan help plz

hello, this is my first post here obviously

i am new to linux but have some familiarity in setting up basic LANs. i am comfortable navigating in unix but dont have much programming experience.

here is my short term goal: build a small linux network in my room (3-4 computers). i do not have any linux experience but want to start learning. my long term goal is to build a beowulf supercomputer. to do this i need to get comfortable running linux and working with networked computers. (correct me if im wrong)

can you guys point to some good resources on the internet or would you be willing to help me get started either on here or through email correspondence? thanks for the help guys

Good Guru
    Sure, what you want to know? May be we could progress into writing a howto for this one as well.

Setting up a small LAN is relatively easy task, beowulf is a whole different animal. I had it once but soon realized that I had nothing to do, I mean what project do I make use of it? Plus too much electricity consumption for a bunch of old P 233s don't make any sense at all since I can get much more powerful X2 duo for relatively cheap now adays. :/
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

well basically i want to know where to start. i am getting an older computer from home pretty soon which i had planned to install linux on. i then figured i would get comfortable using linux before i started setting up the network. i think it will be a huge and beneficial learning experience learning to navigate and mess around on the networked computers.

as for the beowulf, i want to try and use it for finding prime factors of very large numbers and also for computing very large primes (100 digits or more hopefully).

i think when i get the beowulf built i wont have enough power to do the kind of large scale math i would like to do; however, i figure it would be a great place to start learning and i could possibly progress into building more powerful beowulfs.

what should be my first step? making this thread a sort of "how to" would be terrific. i really appreiciate the help and thanks for your time.

on a side note are there any great resources on the internet you know off the top of your head?

My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

I hope this link help you :
    http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/
    This is the place where I found openfree !!!!!!
    This will be over soon, and then I can ...

what would be the best form of linux for this task?

Good Guru
    Any form, the same.
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!