Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Linux Dial Up ISP?

Thread: Linux Dial Up ISP?

Linux Dial Up ISP?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a dial up ISP that allows Linux to be used? At work, I have to use dial up (thank god I have cable at the house to maintain sanity) and I am paying $20/month for a local ISP, as the major nationwide ISPs require that I use a Windows only dialer. Not only is the local yokel ISP slow as dog mess (connect anywhere from 4k-16k at the absolute MOST), but the connections just drop out every couple of minutes at random, and sometimes I have to retry the connection a few times before it will work. I am just so fed up paying a premium for absolutely crappy dial up. Thanks in advance. Oh, I am in Northern California if that helps. I am hoping that someone has some sort of experience to help make the decision a little more reliable...
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4400 -939
    2GB Crucial DDR3200 Dual-Channel
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL
    3 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 160Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 300Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 120Gb 16Mb Cache

Good Guru
    As far as I know, there are no ISPs that will support Linux officially. A few reasons being is that it takes too much effort to maintain reliable support stuff, almost all modems uses winmodems which generally do not work with Linux, too many distributions to keep following, etc. May be you can check with local LUG to find out if there is any in your area. The last time I checked, netzero works but it may no longer the case now. Try to find out what authentication they use <good-luck-there> (netzero used to use CHAP).

If you can get DSL, it's always better to use it. Only a few extra bucks a month and it's well worth it. If your location is too far from CO, then you have very few options. Check out mailing list at http://www.lugod.org/ . They have few members who live in NorCal such as in Davis. They might know which ISPs are okay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately for me, I am too far away for DSL. I thought about cable, but can't justify the additional cost and hassle of trying to get the military to allow a building modification just to satisfy my need for speed...

I will check out the 'lugod' and see what the have to say. Thanks!
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4400 -939
    2GB Crucial DDR3200 Dual-Channel
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL
    3 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 160Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 300Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 120Gb 16Mb Cache