Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Ubuntu 6.06 and 'make'/Wake on LAN?

Thread: Ubuntu 6.06 and 'make'/Wake on LAN?

Hybrid View

Ubuntu 6.06 and 'make'/Wake on LAN?

Yesterday, I was completely fed up with Suse 10.1 and it's oddities (among those, dropping my RAID driver at random was the most irritating), so I decided to take it off of my backup server (although I do still run it on my desktop). I tried KUbuntu, Ubuntu Server, and Ubuntu Desktop (6.06). I tried the Server version first, but needed a graphical interface, as I am completely new to Ubuntu, so I tried the Desktop version. I hate brown. I hate orange. But you know what? I love the default theme, in GNOME nonetheless (I am a KDE user). So, I like the simplicity of GNOME and it is becoming my favorite, but Ubuntu is odd to me...
    I am trying to build the kernel module for my RAID card, and I can't even run 'make'. It doesn't exist on the system. So, I fire up Synaptic, install gcc, binutils, etc., and it is still NOWHERE to be found. How on earth is this going to work? There is a makedepend, make-memtest86+-boot-floppy, and makeg, but no 'make'. I am lost...

Also, I noticed, unfortunately, that Wake on LAN doesn't seem to be supported. Using ethtool, I can see that the driver supports it, and it is enabled, but when I shut the system down, the link to the router dies. The only OSs I have seen this work with are Slackware 10.2 (out of the box), and Suse 10.1 (out of the box). I've tried the *buntus, CentOS, Suse 10.0... I will NOT go back to Suse 10.0 or 10.1, so I guess I can either get Ubuntu to work, or use Slackware, or maybe Suse 9.3... I did sure enjoy the ease of Suse, but it is really going to hell in a handbasket (on a rocketship, of course).
    Last edited by vwgtiturbo; 08-05-2006 at 07:30 PM.
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4400 -939
    2GB Crucial DDR3200 Dual-Channel
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL
    3 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 160Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 300Gb 16Mb Cache
    1 x Maxtor MaxLine SATA 120Gb 16Mb Cache

My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

As far as 'make': I finally found a blog post concerning 'build-essential' which clears that confusion.

As far as WOL: I saw that thread (among others), but mostly, it doesn't apply (to my case anyways). Using ethtool, I can see that the driver supports WOL, and that the magic packet option is active. I am just foggy about why some OSs utilize it correctly (so far, only Suse 10.1 and Slackware 10.2 of all things), and with other OSs, the NIC link dies after shutdown. I can't figure out what one OS is doing versus the other, that differentiates whether the NIC link dies or not.
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL

Good Guru
    I'm going to search some NICs that support WOL and try it out. One of my oldie MB, a PII 300 box, have WOL connector on board.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Every NIC I have now (between 7 on-board, and 2 PCI-E) support WOL (as do their driver modules), but none of the systems are old enough to require the connector.

For grins, over the past few days, I put XP alongside these installations, and WOL worked. So, now the list of OSs in which WOL works includes: XP Pro, Suse 10.1, and Slackware 10.2. It has something to do with the OS, but I just can't put my finger on it...

Maybe I will try to put Suse 9.3 today or tomorrow, and see if I have any better luck. I wanted a more simple OS that wasn't so bloated, but there are some things I like about Suse, and if WOL works on 9.3, then I will take it...
    Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo
    ATi AiW 9800 Pro 128DDR
    Audigy2 ZS
    Sony DRU-810 DVD+RW DL