Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Linux (Fedora) Desktops at Northwestern University!

Thread: Linux (Fedora) Desktops at Northwestern University!

Linux (Fedora) Desktops at Northwestern University!

So, I'm taking classes at Northwestern University (Greater Chicago), and yesterday I wanted to go to talk to my professor. As soon as I went in, I saw that there was a Linux desktop, more specifically a Fedora Desktop. It was still using Bluecurve, so I think it was FC4 or something, but it was amazing. She was like, 'Oh yeah. The entire network uses Linux here'. I was amazed! .. And people complain that Linux is not user-friendly.

Anyways, just wanted to say that.
    Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind.
    --Albert Einstein
    #350566 Registered Slackware Linux User.

Good Guru
    About 99% of those whom said "Linux wasn't user friendly had never used one before". I was at this house warming party where most of the people are computer people (networking, programmers, tech supports, etc). One guy said that he will never consider using Linux because it is hard to use and there aren't enough software to be interested. So I asked him "have you tried one? Which one?" and that he told me "nope, I've never used one". So I went to my car and got my Toshiba with Ubuntu on it. I asked him again, how many programs are there on your XP laptop? I showed him a few that are in there on my laptop, connected to wireless LAN with ndiswrapper and showed him Debian's repository. I shut him good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Quote Originally Posted by Compunuts
    About 99% of those whom said "Linux wasn't user friendly had never used one before". I was at this house warming party where most of the people are computer people (networking, programmers, tech supports, etc). One guy said that he will never consider using Linux because it is hard to use and there aren't enough software to be interested. So I asked him "have you tried one? Which one?" and that he told me "nope, I've never used one". So I went to my car and got my Toshiba with Ubuntu on it. I asked him again, how many programs are there on your XP laptop? I showed him a few that are in there on my laptop, connected to wireless LAN with ndiswrapper and showed him Debian's repository. I shut him good.
    Haha. Nice! I think I was a bit dorky when I said that though. I came into the room for a recommendation letter, and then I saw the Linux desktop, and I was like "Oh! You use Linux too?!" .. it was a bit of an embarassing situation. Its funny that you carry your toshiba with ubuntu on it in your car :P

But nice job! Also, I've seen that Lenovo has made a deal with Novell (apparently) to preload Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop on their mobile T-series thing.. which should be fun because I am planning on buying a laptop next year [well, early next year] and I might just end up buying one.
    Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind.
    --Albert Einstein
    #350566 Registered Slackware Linux User.

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by shebang
    Its funny that you carry your toshiba with ubuntu on it in your car :P
    Well, my laptop has Ubuntu on it so everywhere I go, my laptop goes with me.
    Also, I've seen that Lenovo has made a deal with Novell (apparently) to preload Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop on their mobile T-series thing.. which should be fun because I am planning on buying a laptop next year [well, early next year] and I might just end up buying one.
    Well, you could buy IBM T series with either SuSE or Fedora or Mandriva for a while now. But most are for Business end of stuff so they are not really getting advertised. Tuxmobil had been selling Linux based laptops for a long time and there are more than a few others who sells exclusively Linux laptops as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Linux is all over universities. I went to U. Waterloo in Canada and half the labs in the CS buildings are running Ubuntu. I did half my development for school projects on Ubuntu boxes either in the Engineering or CS buildings. Schools have always been a powerhouse for linux.
    I lost my self-respect at Wes' Rib House