Thread: Yes I did it ....

Good Guru

Yes I did it ....

I dropped the money and got a 2.0Ghz Macbook. It rocks big time, and I plan to soon have Ubunto or Fedora running in a dual boot setup. I may go for a tri-boot, but its not all that likely.

This is where proprietary can be worth it. Kinda weird not using Fedora or Ubuntu doing browsing though ....

Good Guru
    Is it Intel or PowerPC chip?
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Kind Mastermind
    Quote Originally Posted by Compunuts
    Is it Intel or PowerPC chip?
    Intel Core Duo. Centrino technology, Mac OS X 10.4. Can't get too much better than that.

Cheers
    The one serious conviction that a man should have is that nothing is to be taken too seriously.
    Where facts are few, experts are many.

Sooooooo hot. I was going to go for the Macbook Pro but I balked and decided to wait until the hardware issues are ironed out. How you finding OS X?

Oh and if you want to feel a little more at home, you can get Firefox for the Mac, or you can download Camino, my weapon of choice.
    I lost my self-respect at Wes' Rib House

Good Guru
    IMHO, Apple is always over priced. But then again, it's nice to have the whole package kinda deal. But if you LOVE bleeding edge, it's hard to keep up with Apple's offereing.
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Good Guru
    Apple has made the prices alot better over the last ... 10 years or so. I paid 1449 or so for the notebook with upgrades (1gb/80gb/2ghz Core Duo/long life battery).

The few things that I am not used to is:
    Cedega not being there ;D
    Most apps that are default dont suck that badly (Adium and Firefox are the two that superceded the defaults)

Otherwise it is a step and then some from my Toshiba that barely worked and had at best 1:15 battery life (if I didnt do anything) :30 of real usage. 4:00 is alot nicer real world.

I havent gotten to dualing with Ubuntu or Fedora quite yet. Too busy with real life. Perhaps this weekend or early next week. Either way, the following week after next I have my last shutdown at work and I _WILL_ have it done by the end of that or all hell is gonna break out! (That and SchottMyth, the PVR in the works that has been delayed for one dumbshit reason or another).

Quote Originally Posted by Compunuts View Post
    IMHO, Apple is always over priced. But then again, it's nice to have the whole package kinda deal. But if you LOVE bleeding edge, it's hard to keep up with Apple's offereing.
    i just love my macs. overpriced? im writting this on a $174 g4 powermac.
    the look of the mac is different. the 4 handles on the powermac.
    the see-thru cord. the case that opens so easy. the most popular unix distro ever. the feel of the keyboard keys on my powerbook. care and thought has been given to every little deal. no, i cant afford a new one, my olds ones with mac osx work just fine. yes, i drool over a new g5 or a new powerbook or macmini.
    think about it: mac has brought *nix into the mainstream and many users of macs dont even know it.

TRUE STORY
    i remember i bought my first [used] mac with os 10.
    i asked the seller: "how do u open the terminal?"
    seller: whats the terminal?
    me: i mean, the console, the command line. how do u open it?
    seller: im not sure i understand what u mean.
    some guys have all the luck, some guys get all the fame,
    some guys get all the breaks, some guys they do nothing but complain.-----Rod Stewart