Thread: My iBook Died!

Kind Mastermind

My iBook Died!

Arghh...my iBook decided to exhibit funky screen problems (aka...logic board failure). So, I am currently without a laptop computer (which isn't a big deal, mind you, but I am supposed to be going on a trip in September and would love a laptop to go with me). Anyone have any suggestions on a Linux friendly laptop that has a decent feature set and price point?

Cheers
    The one serious conviction that a man should have is that nothing is to be taken too seriously.
    Where facts are few, experts are many.

I bought this laptop for my girlfriend, and she loves it. Can't beat that price, and to my understanding, all components should be linux friendly.
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Good Guru
    Go with Lenovo/IBM (especially T series). They are VERY Linux friendly.
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

I have a G4 iBook, and I have a few problems with the latest Ubuntu live cd. I haven't tried a full install yet though. Namely, the trackpad sensitivity is waaaaaaay too low, and my wireless doesn't work (maybe I could get it working, I never tried). Did you ever get Linux up and running on one? I'd love to have that happen, as they really are beautiful computers.
    I lost my self-respect at Wes' Rib House

Kind Mastermind
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyr_7BE
    I have a G4 iBook, and I have a few problems with the latest Ubuntu live cd. I haven't tried a full install yet though. Namely, the trackpad sensitivity is waaaaaaay too low, and my wireless doesn't work (maybe I could get it working, I never tried). Did you ever get Linux up and running on one? I'd love to have that happen, as they really are beautiful computers.
    Since you have the Airport Extreme card there are no drivers, yet, for it. Otherwise, Ubuntu worked just fine on my G3. Everything worked just fine, generally speaking. The latest versions didn't need too much tweaking to get up and running the way I wanted it to.

Cheers.
    The one serious conviction that a man should have is that nothing is to be taken too seriously.
    Where facts are few, experts are many.

Good Guru
    If all else fail, there always is ndiswrapper.
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Advisor
    I know it's a wee bit on the old side, but I have an IBM Thinkpad R40 which has worked flawless even the internal WIFI is picked up as an aironet card, so everything is provided within the stock kernel.
    I bet you can get one cheap, since it's been a few years since it's been released.
    Don't worry Ma'am. We're university students, - We know what We're doing.
    'Ruiat coelum, fiat voluntas tua.'
    Datalogi - en livsstil; Intet liv, ingen stil.