Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
linux newbie - should i use linux?

Thread: linux newbie - should i use linux?

linux newbie - should i use linux?

I've been a long time Windows user, and I'm thinking about using Linux, specifically RedHat, for my PC. I'm a big PC gamer, and I understand that most PC games operate under Windows, and Windows alone. I know there are many Windows emulation (if that's what I should call them) utilities such as Wine, but are these meant for just running regular applications, or will they run PC games meant for Windows smoothly as well?

There's also the option of having two operating systems installed, and just using Windows for gaming.

Other than gaming, I'd want to use Linux for playing music, coding (Vi?), and web browsing (Firefox). I'm also not sure if a lot of my hardware drivers and extra programs (like my Logitech G15 keyboard, MX518 mouse and Extreme3DPro Joystick) support Linux, or would work under an emulated Windows environment.

Mainly what I want to know is, would it be worth switching to Linux and sacrificing these and other programs and games? I've always been fond Linux, (after all, it is "the programmer's OS) but now that I'm seriously thinking about using it, I can't see any big advantages.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I really don't know where to go from here.
    Last edited by qhiiyr; 07-11-2006 at 11:39 PM.

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by qhiiyr
    I'm a big PC gamer, and I understand that most PC games operate under Windows, and Windows alone. I know there are many Windows emulation (if that's what I should call them) utilities such as Wine, but are these meant for just running regular applications, or will they run PC games meant for Windows smoothly as well?
    If you are REALLY big fan of gaming and that's something you can't live without, then you'd better stick to Windows. Although some games run under wine and some does runs smooth, NOT ALL are supported. As with any other thing, having a layer of application such as wine or emulation, it takes resources.

There's also the option of having two operating systems installed, and just using Windows for gaming.
    That would be my prefere choice if I were you.

Mainly what I want to know is, would it be worth switching to Linux and sacrificing these and other programs and games?
    That's the question ONLY YOU can answer. Everyone is differnet. It may be right for me but it may not be right for you. Same thing with other stuff in life, you may be okay with Toyota Prius but I NEED my Chevy Tahoe.

I've always been fond Linux, (after all, it is "the programmer's OS) but now that I'm seriously thinking about using it, I can't see any big advantages.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I really don't know where to go from here.
    If you have time, extra disk space and a little patient, then you are good to go.

Even if Linux doesn't work out for you, what have you got to loose? The time you spent and the effort you put in are for your learning experience. Would you, say a few years down the road, will regret not having tried Linux even if you had a chance? Then let your instint takes you.

After all, it's not like buying a piece of hardware. You can always wipe Linux clean and start over.
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

You make great points, especially me not having anything to lose. I guess I'll go ahead and try it out then. Thanks a lot for the help!

I agree that the best way to go would be to dual boot Windows and Linux and spend some time learning the system to see if it is what you want.

Also, you can run quite a bit of Open Source software (Firefox, Thunderbird, OPenOffice) on Windows.
    TANSTAAFL

Unfortunately, the only person that can answer if it "would be worth it" is you. We don't know your standards for determining worthiness, so any advice we give would be a guess at best.
    It seems you have done your homework, so you know what are the benefits and detriments.
    If you have extra partition,s you can dual-boot and test it to get the feel of it; however, that requires a commitment of research and effort.
    Again, that is your decision.
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Definately worth it! Yes, you will need to dual boot for some gaming, but when it comes to security and productivity, Linux is second to none! You will love the multimedia stuff like Amarok (it will make you wonder why the makers of Itunes and Windows Media Player get payed when u can use this for free and it is more powerful). You will also like the OS itself,the great little perks that you will get when u surf the net without fear of spyware. Heck, if u wanted to, you could run spyware and other Windows programs using wine, which even runs Office 2003, Internet Explorer, etc.

Go for it!
    My Website: http://ttgale.com
    My Website Uptime: http://img.uptimeprj.com/holastickbo...dee9bae2e2.png
    My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+