Thread: FC4 and MySql

Associate

FC4 and MySql

Seems I'm back with a new server and new problem...

This is one I have been beating my head against the wall on, I have spent hours trying to work out a solution, as I'm sure it's something I have overlooked.

To recap, I have a ded server, has a fresh install of FC4 on it, and my connection is via putty. I am going through the process of setting it up and as I try to config mysql, that's where the problems begin!!

I'm not close to being good at this yet, but I am trudging along learning as I go, so I do understand the concept...

This is what I get, I can log into mysqladmin, no prob, when I go to log into mysql after saying mysql -u root -p, giving my pass, it gets nasty and say's the var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock are missing...

I have gone the forums here and have tried every suggestion I could find, one thing to note, as I try to start mysql or restart for that matter, it does ot recognize it as a service.

The install of Fedora was done via the hosting company, so I was not part of that process, it would easy enough to give them a shout to get it right, but they kindly ask for $75 an hour for any work, so I'm trying to sort this out myself with very little luck thus far!

Does anyone of you have a suggestion or would mind nudging me in the right direction with this?

I feel I am close, but becoming more frustrated by the day...

Thanks!!

Hi,

I googled "/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock + missing" and found various articles about it. Here's one:

http://support.theplanet.com/knowled...b.php?id=10294

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ng&btnG=Search
    Last edited by trickster; 07-17-2006 at 05:42 PM.
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

The first help link that Trick posted should fix your problem. I am not at a linux box right now but definately wanted to pass along my yeppers to Tricksters post.
    Install, Configure, Cuss, Re-Install!!!!!

Associate
    Cool, some great documentation there and I'm trying things now!!

I'll let ya know the outcome and what I did to resolve it...

Associate
    Got it working, mysql client was installed, mysql was not, hence the problem, thanks for the info cause after doing a lil digging within that, I was able to get it done with a lil help from a friend!

Thanks agian!!