Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fedora linux core 5 hangs in boot step, please help

fedora linux core 5 hangs in boot step, please help

hi,

i installed fedore core 5 linux in my laptop. i was pretty surprised it installed with so ease. but now im unable to log into fedora linux.im using 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 kernel

i am hung in this step of the linux boot

"kernal panic - not syncing:attempted to kill init!" and gives
    panic<blah>,
    do_exit<blah>,
    do_munmap<blah>,
    sys_exit_group<blah>,
    syscall_call<blah>

i tried setting apm=off and acpi=off in the boot command but still hangs at that step.

PLEASE HELP ME OUT PEOPLE !!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks

humm - it installed okay so i am guessing the media and what not is good.

AT the bootloader (i.e. GRUB) line hit 'e' then move to the end of the line that has vmlinuz on it and enter [b]1[b/] . This will boot it up with minimal stuff stuff running and we can see how far it gets.

BTW - how far it is getting? Does it die while it is uncompressing the kernel? any mention of not being able to mount something?
    telnet mtrek.game-host.org 1701

Quote Originally Posted by pbharris
    humm - it installed okay so i am guessing the media and what not is good.

AT the bootloader (i.e. GRUB) line hit 'e' then move to the end of the line that has vmlinuz on it and enter [b]1[b/] . This will boot it up with minimal stuff stuff running and we can see how far it gets.

BTW - how far it is getting? Does it die while it is uncompressing the kernel? any mention of not being able to mount something?

hi i tried setting [b]1[b/] in vmlinuz option in bootloader. but still hangs at the previously mentioned step.

what shall i do. pls help me.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ravifrequent
    hi i tried setting [b]1[b/] in vmlinuz option in bootloader. but still hangs at the previously mentioned step.

what shall i do. pls help me.

thanks
    You're sure you tried just entering "1" [without the quotes] at the end of the vmlinuz line? Because, it should start with just the minimal stuff, as pbharris said.
    Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind.
    --Albert Einstein
    #350566 Registered Slackware Linux User.

hum - at this point i would suggest trying to re-installing - or letting us know how far it is getting? i.e. Does it die while it is uncompressing the kernel? any mention of not being able to mount something? It could be unable to find the proper hard drive in which case it is a bootloader issue which is fairly easliy fixed

Quote Originally Posted by pbharris
    hum - at this point i would suggest trying to re-installing - or letting us know how far it is getting? i.e. Does it die while it is uncompressing the kernel? any mention of not being able to mount something? It could be unable to find the proper hard drive in which case it is a bootloader issue which is fairly easliy fixed

Hey pbharris, I put my comment because I felt that he was actually trying to put: "[b]1[b\]" instead of just "1"... but yeah, i think you need to follow pbharris' suggestions because he runs fedora core while I don't
    Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind.
    --Albert Einstein
    #350566 Registered Slackware Linux User.

i tried setting only 1 and not"1". still it was hanging on kernal panic step.

also i noticed "no fstab.sys found, switching to defaults". this step comes before "kernal panic - not syncing:attempted to kill init!"

is there some problem in that ??

i tried other settings also i tried to go in rescue mode and gave the options,

chroot /mnt/sysimage
    mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.15-1.2054.img

still unsuccessfull. i actually had fc2 previously so what i
    did was to upgrade the fedora so it used the existing fc2 and added fc5
    over it . so do i need to reinstall fc5 completely? will it solve the
    problem ?

hello, yes the fstab message make me think grub is not passing the right parameters - it sounds like you have some experience here so lets boot off the CD <linux rescue> and mount the partition where the image is located - then check out the device.map file and grub.conf file to see if they make sense.

here is a pet on GRUB
    http://www.openfree.org/pet/index.php/GRUB_Bootloader
    some more good links
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hreadid=237511

hopefully that will fix it...

hi i tried to reinstall FC5 totally and BINGO !!! it started working fine.

now, i have another problem.

i tried to use my client software to connect to my internet,
    provided by my cable provider , crclient and i was able to connect to
    the internet. when i typed ./crclient -u <username> it said
    successfully connected to the <ipaddress>, but i am not able to browse the webpages for eg., when i goto www.google.com it is not connecting to that page. can anyone tell me what can probably be the problem and how can i solve it ??

thanks

Good Guru
    type "/sbin/ifconfig" to see if you are actually getting ip from your service provider. Then get dns server info from your ISP and put in "/etc/resolv.conf" file.

HTH ..

P.S --> You should really start another thread in another place such as in Networking forum with different titile. What it will hapen is

1. your will get much faster help that way.

2. Those with your same problem later on can search forum with key words and can find solution faster.

3. It makes it easier for all of us to keep track of it.
    LinuxVillage - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!