Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Help Needed To Install Printer (networked via JetDirect)

Thread: Help Needed To Install Printer (networked via JetDirect)

Hybrid View

Help Needed To Install Printer (networked via JetDirect)

Hi There

I have a Lexmark E230 Laser Printer connected to a HP JetDirect 310X Print Server. A couple of nights ago, I decided to delve into the world of Linux (for the first time) and jumped into bed with ubuntu.

I went to Lexmark's website and downloaded a .deb driver file and installed it. Had problems installing but finally realised that I had to install it via the Root Terminal and everythign went smoothly.

However, if I now try to setup a networked printer using the Printer Install function, the printers that the driver installed DO NOT appear in the list under Lexmark. Furthermore, I use the Install Driver button to search for the .PPD file and can't find them either (I have searched for the lex*.ppd files and the E230 does not appear). The driver installation (under the root terminal) DID say installation successful.

Can someone please tell a non linux user (in laymans terms) on how to install this printer, PLEASE ??????

Thanking you all in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by savilash View Post
    Hi There

I have a Lexmark E230 Laser Printer connected to a HP JetDirect 310X Print Server. A couple of nights ago, I decided to delve into the world of Linux (for the first time) and jumped into bed with ubuntu.

I went to Lexmark's website and downloaded a .deb driver file and installed it. Had problems installing but finally realised that I had to install it via the Root Terminal and everythign went smoothly.

However, if I now try to setup a networked printer using the Printer Install function, the printers that the driver installed DO NOT appear in the list under Lexmark. Furthermore, I use the Install Driver button to search for the .PPD file and can't find them either (I have searched for the lex*.ppd files and the E230 does not appear). The driver installation (under the root terminal) DID say installation successful.

Can someone please tell a non linux user (in laymans terms) on how to install this printer, PLEASE ??????

Thanking you all in advance.
    There's actually a very nice Ubuntu help forum out there somewhere. A buddy of mine found it for me... Possibly if you Google "Ubuntu Help" you may find something. Sorry but I have to get my networked all-in-one working with Ubuntu also, but haven't gotten about to it yet. Hope your Google search yields some results.

Good Guru
    http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_pr...m=Lexmark-E230

Apparently it works fine on linux. I would go into CUPS and make sure that it can be configured, as you may need to update to a newer version of CUPS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good Guru
    May be this will help somewhat.

http://linuxvillage.org/drupal/?q=node/2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Cups server startup etc...

If you start the CUPS server and then use firefox to access http://localhost:631 it will bring up the CUPS web interface where you can configure your printer. If you are asked for a username and password use the root username and password. Be prepared to spend a few hours to work it out, google is great for that!!!

Good luck,
    Mechdave

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mechdave View Post
    If you start the CUPS server and then use firefox to access http://localhost:631 it will bring up the CUPS web interface where you can configure your printer. If you are asked for a username and password use the root username and password. Be prepared to spend a few hours to work it out, google is great for that!!!

Good luck,
    Mechdave
    CUPS gui can save your ass and bail you out in less time than it takes to hit the potty.

Literally, I have had better times with the CUPS gui on most distros than the fancy printer guis. Linspire and Mandrake were the only two exceptions.

I guess that I was fortunate. I have an HP 3210 network color all-in-one printer. I gave it a 'fixed' IP address, and since it wasn't wireless, I connected it to a 'bridged-mode' Linisys AP device. It works like a charm, and all the computers in this network can access this printer. Very handy!