Thread: WOW On Linux - Interesting Thread

Cool WOW On Linux - Interesting Thread

I admit it, I love World of Warcraft, best thing since kernel 2.6. I heard in the grapevine that u might get in trouble for running it under Linux. So, content with playing with WOW on my favourite OS, I decided to ask Blizzard if I would get in trouble and get banned playing WOW using wine. Here is my email, and the reply. Just thought it might be interesting for those of you that might be thinking the same thing:

=====
    My EMail:

Hi,
    I currently use Linux as one of my main operating systems. I know that Linux is not officially supported as an operating system for use with WOW, but it can be used on it.

If I did use WOW on Linux, would I be banned from the game? Using WINE, I can run WOW, but I just want to make sure that I wont get in trouble for doing it first.

Thanks in advance,
    Tyler

====
    Their Reply:

Hello Tyler,

Unfortunately there is no advice I can give regarding Linux. I have played with WoW on Linux myself and experienced patching problems. However, there is no guarantee of anything not happening when you are using unsupported systems to play the game.

There are some issues with Linux that may interfere with a connection to our servers as well. Overall, we do not support the use of our games on Linux.

Sincerely,

Darian V.
    Blizzard Technical Support
    www.blizzard.com/support
    ====

There ya go, a little blurry answer
    My Website: http://ttgale.com
    My Website Uptime: http://img.uptimeprj.com/holastickbo...dee9bae2e2.png
    My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

Good Guru
    Transgaming fully supports this title. I would address this with them. They are working with them to get the game working and keep it that way.

To me, it looks like they just avoided the issue completely. They said they would not support it, which was not what you asked. They did not say one way or another if they would ban you.
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Get with the program and stop using propriatary Windows only software, they don't support Linux so why are you supporting them?

There are plenty of good games out there under suitable licenses that are supported under Linux. I personally really like The battle of Wesnoth (similar to heros of might and magic, abide with a lot more rpg oriented character aspects)

Electing to support propriatary software for the sole purpose of supporting other propritary pieces of software is utterly insane, it will never lead to better support for Linux within gaming companies and it strenghtens Windows' grap on the desktop gaming platform. You are not in any way ensured that Transgaming will even be able to support a given game - I gave it a fair shot 3 months ago, out of the many (I believe I tested close to 30 well known titles) games I own or could borrow for the test... ONE ran as expected... ONE!!! (Dune 2000 btw.). This is a shattering degree of succes and it's definately not worth it, nor easy to use. Calling it a solution to gaming hungry Linux users sets an unreasonable demand on these users skill and gullability.

Here is a case of free market, if we want support, we have to cut their fuel line - convince your Windows using friends that Blizzard are hindering your and their freedom to elect how to use YOUR hardware. How is this reasonable - the only logical step is to cancel any WoW subscription one might have and demand ones money back for the game.

Linux is gaining marketshare, they can't ignore us forever.
    Why are you not using Fedora Core?

My blog

I can definately see the point that you are making lovechild. I love free software, especially open source, but I dont think that software shouldn't proprietary either, because that is as bad as saying it should be.

The beauty of Linux is that we are all given a choice. I love Linux, but it simply does not cater for my insatiable appetite for games, especially WOW. Seeing what some developers are able to do with porting (America's Army, UT2004, Quake3, etc) I would like to expect the same thing of Blizzard.

I do understand why Linux is not supported by Blizzard. Each distro has it's own quirks and quibbles, imagine what sort of problems you would get with that! Blizzard would be spending a fortune on support for OS's it probably has never even used.

What I am trying to say is that I am not going to ditch proprietary until the same quality is open source. I use OO instead of Office 2003, I use firefox and thunderbird instead of explorer and outlook, but I would never trade WOW for battle of wesnoth, because we have come so far since it was made.

I just want to play it on linux...
    My Website: http://ttgale.com
    My Website Uptime: http://img.uptimeprj.com/holastickbo...dee9bae2e2.png
    My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

Try PlaneShift. Awesome open source MMORPG with great 3D graphics.

http://www.planeshift.it
    Eat your l33t skillz!
    My home page: http://www.inter.nl.net/users/alexeif/

Transgaming has been having issues with WoW for a long time, and will continue. Blizzard patches the game on average every 50 days, and for transgaming to try to keep up with it is really annoying. If you are playing this game as a raider, you know that having a couple days of downtime is not acceptable.

I remember when I wouldn't play any games unless they worked on Linux (about the time UT2003 came out native for Linux). Unfortunately, this isn't really feasible if you are a hardcore gamer. The Summer of 2005, I setup WoW on Cedega at the company I worked at to show Linux gaming, and WoW really had issues then. According to the mailing lists, these are fixed, but new ones keep popping up. On top of that, most of the Transgaming community downvoted keeping constant support on WoW for Cedega, and upcoming versions.

Why they didn't make a Linux version of WoW is beyond me, since they did do the OS X port (I'm sure it had a lot to do with the libc, and package issues across ditros, but I digress).
    Last edited by Kernel_Killer; 10-28-2006 at 02:37 PM.
    arrogance breeds ignorance

Screaming Electron, Full of BSD Goodness

Good Guru
    KK, you knew that since iD and Epic can do it without a hassle, Blizzard could have.

We may have a ray of hope with Vista pissing alot of peeps off and it aint even released.