Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Windows Vista Beta 2 More Like Alpha -1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista Beta 2 More Like Alpha -1

Exclamation Windows Vista Beta 2 More Like Alpha -1

Tried to install Windows Vista Beta 2 on two different PCs in a multi-boot set-up. It totally screwed up one PC (good thing I had an Acronis backup) and would not get past the first couple of install screens on the other PC.

If that's a sign of things to come from MS, then Linus help us!

Quote Originally Posted by Scubadoo
    Tried to install Windows Vista Beta 2 on two different PCs in a multi-boot set-up. It totally screwed up one PC (good thing I had an Acronis backup) and would not get past the first couple of install screens on the other PC.

If that's a sign of things to come from MS, then Linus help us!
    I have been unable to get it to work at all, even in basic mode without Aero. We have one machine running it in the lab, but it only boots in safe mode. Very limited driver support seems to be the main issue.

I really, really hate how Microsoft tries to redo Windows. I'd rather they work on fixing problems and not introducing 1,000,000 new bugs, er, features.
    TANSTAAFL

Thumbs down They Have to Justify Their Select Agreement Fees

MS has to come up with something, even if it's buggier than an ant hill, because the fees they charge to Select Agreement customers are worthless otherwise. Come to think of it, the fees are probably worthless anyway.

The Vista Beta 2 is open to everyone, not only the people on the Select Agreement.
    I loaded it on my laptop, and kept it for a few days. I removed it because I was having some compatibility problems between Java and Aero. Since I use Java for work, that was a no-no. However, I don't think the problem was completely because of windows, as I remember reading that the newer beta's of the 1.6 JDK resolved the issue.
    Besides that, I could not find any other bugs that limited my experience.
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Thumbs down Yes, I Know

Yes, I knew that Vista Beta 2 was available to everyone. I meant that MS has to produce a new version of Windows every four years for the Select Agreement to make sense (for coverage on Windows) when you consider what the fees are. When Vista comes out, it will have been six, maybe six plus, years since MS released a new version of Windows.

If Beta 2 is an indication of what's coming, then the releases scheduled for later this year (commercial) and next year (consumer) will be problematic.

Good Guru
    I'm not sure who needs a new OS every few years. I still have Win2K on my wife's box and it still works excellent. However, my WinXP on my wife's laptop is crappy.

I, on the other hand, of course is Windows less for more than a few years and I don't miss it. The only time I use Windows is when I need some features of Office that I absolutely can't live without (if you are professional office user, you know what's I'm talking about, right CGA? ). No office package offering on Linux (Oo.o, Koffice, Hancom, applixware, Siag, etc) is as good as Office suite from M$. I tell you that. That's also the most significant reason majority of businesses are holding on to Windows crappy OS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Arrow Maybe That's Why the EU Wants to Fine MS

You're right. The only reason to run Windows is because of some apps that only run on Windows and, for businesses, that's typically MS Office. There are also some other specialty business apps that were designed only for Windows.

MS's strategy of locking the public to its operating system because of other apps is, I believe, why the EU wants to fine MS for its monopolistic behaviour and failure to comply with previous judicial orders.

Quote Originally Posted by Compunuts
    I'm not sure who needs a new OS every few years. I still have Win2K on my wife's box and it still works excellent. However, my WinXP on my wife's laptop is crappy.

I, on the other hand, of course is Windows less for more than a few years and I don't miss it. The only time I use Windows is when I need some features of Office that I absolutely can't live without (if you are professional office user, you know what's I'm talking about, right CGA? ). No office package offering on Linux (Oo.o, Koffice, Hancom, applixware, Siag, etc) is as good as Office suite from M$. I tell you that. That's also the most significant reason majority of businesses are holding on to Windows crappy OS.
    You know, in spite of all, I am running OOo 2 on my XP machine at home. Still using MS Office at work, and really not having any issues going between OOo and MS Office. For my home needs, including running my little busines, OOo is perfectly acceptable. However, I am not using any of the advanced features any more, and any office software would work fine.

I have been giving OOo CDs (along with Firefox) to all my students.
    TANSTAAFL

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubadoo
    The only reason to run Windows is because of some apps that only run on Windows and, for businesses, that's typically MS Office. There are also some other specialty business apps that were designed only for Windows.
    To be fair and square, some of the stuff are out of MS's control.

In late 90s, early 2Ks, I was looking for software to run a restaurant (for then my customer) applications along with POS (point of sales). Almost ALL of the ones I find interesting required to run Windows. The one I found for Unix wants too much money for my customer to be able to afford it (and mostly hardware to go along with it, like IBM was offering). I inquire some of those and they won't develop for Linux just because there is no market for it or too small to even consider it.

Early this year, I was looking for online shopping cart along with some functionality of interfacing to credit card charges units and found several. Some are even free versions using web interface making it cross platform.

My point it, there are times where it's the choice of companies that are making those business decisions. They won't even look at developing something unless they can make money right away and stuff.

why the EU wants to fine MS for its monopolistic behaviour and failure to comply with previous judicial orders.
    I'm totally netural on this stuff. I don't know how much a government can do to force a market place.

IF M$ stop developing new OS just not to run afoul with EU and stopped shipping to EU countries, would that make them a winner? I'm saying hypothetically though I can't imagine M$ would even consider doing something like this. What will businesses and consumers at EU would do if M$ decided to NOT ship there? Switch over to OSS right away? Impossible. I'm no fun of M$ but this kind of actions gives me a chill down my spine since it will harm innovation.

Quote Originally Posted by cga
    You know, in spite of all, I am running OOo 2 on my XP machine at home. Still using MS Office at work, and really not having any issues going between OOo and MS Office.
    I don't have much either. Things I wrote with Office will open with Oo.o2 except the format thing like excel's cell spacing and so on.

My biggest problem right now is not being able to password protect documents. I used to be able to do it with earlier versions and sxc format. Now, Oo.02 uses ods format and I lost that ability. I'm using 2.0.2-12. I can't find the place to enable password protect the whole document. So those I created with earlier versions works okay but not the one using later versions. So my current work around is to delete every sheet in the workbook and re-insert the sheets. It's a little pain but works for me.

Another thing I miss is functions. Oo.o seems to have more functions than M$ but the documentation and information is very lousy. The help is minimal at best and sometimes there is no telling of what function call are what to use for.

Other than that, all is good. My main desktop is still Ubuntu (although the AMD64 version have fscked up CUPS package) on my AMD64 3200 box and I still mainly use Oo.o2 for most of my needs. I'd say about 99.5% of what I use is good with Oo.o. Only times I need MS Office is about once in a blue moon like once a six month thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Arrow I Am Biased

I admit my rant was totally biased and, you're right, MS doesn't control the apps space. The problem is that Windows has become so ubiquitous that the apps makers have no incentive to build non-Windows versions.

Is it a good or a bad thing that Windows is on most desktops? Depends on your perspective, I guess. Philosophically, I think monopolies and even oligopolies are not good for consumers in the long run. I believe government intervention is justified when a company monopolizes a market segment to the detriment of consumers.

I guess what annoys me the most is how basic and, in some cases, incompetent Windows is and how much MS charges for it, when you compare it to what Linux offers for free. And, is MS Office's price tag justified when you consider OpenOffice or any of the other open source office suites?

Of course, Linux is not without warts of its own. But hey, you don't get charged for the warts and many (most?) of them get fixed faster than MS's.
    Last edited by Scubadoo; 07-05-2006 at 08:18 PM.