Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

/var partition

Thread: /var partition

/var partition

Hello all,

I have installed Slackware 10.2 on my computer. First time I received an error installing KDE desktop in the error message was something about /var/log .... So started again the installation, but created another linux partition to be mounted as /var. Well the error still appears probably because the archive on the CD is corrupted. I can run the KDE desktop without problem but I would like to know is it ok I have create d this /var partition? Should I remove it? I do know that it is not recomanded to mount partitions under /etc, /bin ... but I haven't seen the recomandation not to mount partition under /var

Any opinion would be appreciated !

Thank you!

Gabi
    Last edited by finity; 06-26-2006 at 11:10 AM. Reason: I forgot about the subscription!

It should be allright. /var holds system logs. If you mount something else under it, your logs will just be stored in a different location.
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

thanks for the quick answer! Probably I will recreate the partitions ... I alocated about 1 GB of space for the /var partition ... I think is too much!

Gabi

Good Guru
    Depends on your distro, log options and usage. I've run out of space on /var with 2GB before. If you have one of those which uses APT (Debian, Ubuntu, etc), it caches the packages in /var/apt so if you install a lot of packages without cleaning up, it could take a lot of spaces. Plus, I used to run web server from default location (/var/www) and with tons of music, downloaded programs which serve in turn to my home network, it runs out of space quick. It all depends on your usage really.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

Good Guru
    To expand on compunts' reply, I always reccomend a separate /var partition and generally will advise on compression with it (its usually text which compresses greatly). This isnt necessarily ever a bottleneck for write-access, but if you run out of space, this is going to drive you nuts.

Making it separate on home machines is six to one, half dozen to another. The verboseness of samba, kernel messages, and your firewall (if utilized) are the main things that will populate this, with possibilites of any security auditing software. If these arent present, then its a taste issue. For servers, read the first paragraph again ;D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Schotty
    To expand on compunts' reply, I always [COLOR=black]reccomend a separate /var partition and generally will advise on compression with it (its usually text which compresses greatly).
    Any usefull link or advice on how to setup the compression on /var partition ? I use Slackware 10.2 and have a 1 GB /var partition! I presume there are some commands to enable the compresion on a certain partition! Unfortunatly using windows you are not certain how to enable something like compresion or encryption on a linux partition. On windows you just make a right-click and select a checkbox. I presume it is quite different on linux [I hope it is]

Good Guru
    For ext based systems (read 6.4):
    http://www.ibiblio.org/filesystems/h...s-HOWTO-6.html

Resiserfs I couldnt find any useful info on, other than some plugin that supposedly does it, and some compile time options.. got me. I dont use reiser, I stick with ext3.

Google jfs,xfs, or whatever and compression for any other fs's that you may be using.

Resiserfs I couldnt find any useful info on, other than some plugin that supposedly does it, and some compile time options.. got me. I dont use reiser, I stick with ext3.
    Me too, ext2 because it is recomended when installing Slackware ...

Google jfs,xfs, or whatever and compression for any other fs's that you may be using.
    Is good to know what to search for on google ... google is good but you got to now what to search for with it

Thanks again for the answers!

PS: Yesterday got on the internet via PPPOE from my Slackware machine ... I was soo proud of myself ... sorry but this is my first time out online from a linux operating system !

Good Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by finity
    PS: Yesterday got on the internet via PPPOE from my Slackware machine ... I was soo proud of myself ... sorry but this is my first time out online from a linux operating system !
    Congratulations ... You SHOULD be proud of yourself. After seeing how fast Internet work without all the bloats, you'd never go back to Windows.

- The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!