Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

wireless linux server problems

Thread: wireless linux server problems

wireless linux server problems

I really need some help and any suggestions will be appreciated. I have two computers:
    1: wireless laptop running ubuntu
    2:desktop running xp
    I have a a router/hub between the laptop and the desktop and I want to be able to connect to the internet from the desktop using the laptop wireless connection.
    I know it can be done but I'm not sure about the settings.
    since I'm new to linux I don't know if I configure it well or not, here is what I typed in my linux: iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
    knowing that my wireless adapter is eth1
    and my nic adapter is eth0
    I setup linux to have a static IP of course
    and on the router I put automatic IP with DHCP on
    DNS1: the laptop IP
    and I'm stuck now!
    please some help

Good Guru
    Let me get this straight, you have WIRED connection between your computers and your laptop have wireless to the WAN (internet)?

IF so, can you first able to ping your wired port of your laptop from XP? If it's okay, then all you need is to turn on NAT features on Linux box. The easiest way to do this to install firewall Firestarter and let it take care of it.

Two advantages of using programs like Firestarter,

1. You get a secure firewall
    2. It's GUI based so it takes care of a lot of typing and command line confusions.

HTH ..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!

yeah! the laptop is connected to the wan via wireless to the router, and I can't ping the laptop from xp, because I need to configure linux to give the internet to the second/router between my laptop and my desktop
    thanks

Good Guru
    So let me understand your network. Something like this?

WAN -->Wireless Router-->Laptop wlan0-->Laptop Wired eth0-->router-->XP box
    Right? If so, there is no need to configure ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) between laptop's eth0 and XP. You will have to do that with private IPs. Once you get that going, you can tackle ICS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    - The truely community run Linux/Floss forum !

No IT BS !!