Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

X problem in Ubuntu 6600GT SLI
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X problem in Ubuntu 6600GT SLI

X problem in Ubuntu 6600GT SLI

After running my Win XP for sometime now I decided I need to instal something more reliable on my computer - chose Linux of course . Now that I finally got around to installing Linux (Ubuntu 6.06 64-bit) I'm having a really strange issue with X.

Whenever I boot into linux, I see the Ubuntu splash and the list of checks that the system goes through as it is booting. However, once that is done and I see a dash in the upper left hand corner flash a few times, then it stays solid. I am pretty sure at this point X has fully loaded, and is just showing on my screen what was shown last (the dash). The reason I've come to this conclusion is because I can hear all the sounds comming from various things that I do. If I just hit enter, I hear an error-esque sound. However, if I blindly enter my login, hit tab, then type in my password, I hear a very pleasant sound, which I'm guessing is the shell loading up.

Now, I can go into terminals 1-6 with no problem and work various commands, but if I try to enter terminal 7, I basically have the same problem as in the beginning and just see what was last on the screen.

This also does with Ubuntu 5.10 .... I tried installing 6.06 with server install and then used this command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

Because the live cd install does the black out already on the beggining...

Here are the basic specs of my machine:

Biostar N4SLI-A9-A01
    2 x MSI 6600GT video cards
    AMD 3200+ socket 939 proccy

Any help would be very appreciated,
    best regards,
    Namgyel

Are there any errors, on /var/logs/xorg.log?
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Here is something that writes at the begining of the install and normal boot - before the brown loader when Ubuntu is already installed.

Decompresing linux ... Done.
    Booting the kernel.
    [ 2X.XXXXXX] PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 3 of device 0000:05:00.0
    [ 2X.XXXXXX] PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 3 of device 0000:04:00.0
    (Where X.XXX... are random numbers - everytime's different.)
    Starting system log daemon:ss.....,.....

Is this a hardware error? My Win XP works fine - but don't know if it sees the 2 graphic cards. Is there any program for win that I can test my computer with if there is everything OK with my graphics and the system?????

Best regards
    Namgyel

I would not worry about that message for now. Are there any errors on /var/log/xorg.log?
    My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive.

Between install there are none... also if I would like to do anything I have to go to any other terminal from 1 - 5 I think....

I'm not sure what you mean by "between install.."

When you get the black screen, can you shift to another terminal and open /var/log/xlog.org with a text editor, so you can see if any error is being logged when the black screen happens?

Ohhh - sorry about that -- didn't quite understand .

When I open the file it's empty...

What about the /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

You could try running

Code:
    /usr/X11R6/bin/xorg -configure

(could be Xorg or XOrg instead of xorg...try all three)
    or

Code:
    /usr/X11R6/bin/xorgcfg
    or

Code:
    /usr/X11R6/bin/xorgconfig
    One of those might work. Be warned that the last two commands require you to know some of your monitor specifications and video card type.
    Last edited by Tyr_7BE; 06-23-2006 at 09:37 PM.
    I lost my self-respect at Wes' Rib House

Quote Originally Posted by trickster
    What about the /var/log/Xorg.0.log?
    Well it's a long list - but at the end of it are marks

(**) Option "Device" "/dev/wacom"
    (EE) xf860OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/wacom
    No such file or directory.
    Error opening /dev/wacom : Success
    (EE) xf860OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/wacom
    No such file or directory.
    Error opening /dev/wacom : Success (3 Times)

How can I give here the complete list without writing it all here? Is there a way that I could save it on a floppy and put it online?

Best regards
    Namgyel